Is it safe to disable HPET?

JJwow5555

I want to disable High Precision Event Timer on my ASUS laptop to gain more FPS but google is giving me mixed answers from good to bad. So does anything bad happen when you disable HPET and can you turn it back on? 

If you need to disable HPET to gain fps, then you've got bigger issues.

What are your laptop specs? 

Newer titles don't even utilise HPET and use alternative faster timers instead. HPET being enabled provides the timer to programs that want to use it, it won't affect all games. Windows has multiple timers available. 

Problem being with the HPET tweak is, there's a ton of dated information about it perpetuating it's usefulness.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

17 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

If you need to disable HPET to gain fps, then you've got bigger issues.

What are your laptop specs? 

It is a ryzen 5 3550H , Radeon RX560X, 8gb of ram and 256GB SSD

75 percent games run fine on medium-high settings 60-120fps but I want better performance on heavier games like no mans sky which I get an average of 40fps plus some stutters

16 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Newer titles don't even utilise HPET and use alternative faster timers instead. HPET being enabled provides the timer to programs that want to use it, it won't affect all games. Windows has multiple timers available. 

Problem being with the HPET tweak is, there's a ton of dated information about it perpetuating it's usefulness.

ooh ok thanks

1 minute ago, JJwow5555 said:

ooh ok thanks

Ultimately it won't break anything but it probably also won't give you any gains at all. It is easily disabled/enabled, just try it - it won't break anything, bench and come to your own conclusion.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Just now, cacoe said:

Ultimately it won't break anything but it probably also won't give you any gains at all. It is easily disabled/enabled, just try it - it won't break anything, bench and come to your own conclusion.

ok thanks