Need a recomendation on running Windows off an external hard drive

XukeLho

Hello guys.

My work machine just got a serious upgrade, surpassing my persoal computer in performance. But, since its a work computer, I can't install my games on it.

So my workaround is running my windows off an external SSD.

Since I'm limited to USB 3.2 speeds, does it matter if I'm using a 2.5" or a M.2? Should I got for the cheaper because of USB limitations or I'll get slight performance increase in the better options? Or something else entirely?

I'm currently working remotely from home, so the machine is allways with me.

I'm not really thinking about opening it up and replacing drives as I'm afraid of voiding the warranty, and that is something that I would have to do everytime I switch between work and personal. So USB would be much more convenient.

image.png.86728b51bead9efb1c1baed3cfa55231.png

Id just get a 2.5 drive in a usb enclosure, but it likely won't matter.

Make sure to setup the drive with windows to go, rufus is good for this.

ALso check the IT hasn't disabled usb boot in the bios(they should do this for security)

I've already made a w2g drive, but its a HDD 2.5", wich is slow as hell 😅, but hopefully, upgrading to an SD will make the using of the system much smoother. I've only tested on booting on my computer, will test on the work computer next.

I was amased at how well games run, although with notisably slower loading times. Sometimes I get a hickup, probably when its going to the harddrive to load an asset that isn't in the ram