Is the GTX 1650 good as a placeholder for an RTX 3080 in the future

Luis_V

Hi all,

I created the post attached below but it took a wild turn as I realized I was a being naive (or too hopeful) by believing I could manage to find a GPU in the current scenario.

TL,DR for the older post: I want to buy a good all around PC, around $2000 CAD, capable of playing triple A games at 1440p 144Hz.

The money for buying this PC comes from my scholarship, and it is a portion that has to be spent on research related itens, which is my case since I work with data analysis. I get a 3000 CAD every year. Half of this money went for a good office chair and the other half is going to the PC. If I buy the 3070 that I wanted I would have to put money from my own pocket. However, after going to memory express I realized I could do things differently. They have a couple of MSI GTX 1650 Ventus XS OC ($325 CAD) and I was considering to buy this one as a placeholder for a better card in the future. This way I could use my own scholarship to buy an even better card, probably a 3080 and a good 1440p 144Hz monitors.

The good thing is that I save some money from my own pocket, as I would not be able to use this money for anything else. The bad thing is that my scholarship will renew on April 2022, so I have to wait 8 months until I finally finish my build. This is even worse because this time will be during winter when temps will be -30 C and I will be locked home. But I am also aware this is probably the most mature thing to do.

The alternative would be to go all in and buy a combo of 3070 TI plus Corsair CX Series CX750M PSU for $1389 CAD. This is the only thing the store has that gets close to the 3070. And yes, they only sell it as a combo.

What do you guys think? Also, are there any chances the GPU will hit an ever worse shortage in the near future?

You shouldn't be spending your scholarship money on a gaming PC. Find out what the hardware requirements are for the software you will be using for your PhD, and buy a PC that is well suited to that. Building it for gaming as your first concern is unethical IMO, since that scholarship money could be going to someone else, who wouldn't use it so selfishly.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

19 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

You shouldn't be spending your scholarship money on a gaming PC. Find out what the hardware requirements are for the software you will be using for your PhD, and buy a PC that is well suited to that. Building it for gaming as your first concern is unethical IMO, since that scholarship money could be going to someone else, who wouldn't use it so selfishly.

I like this so much everything after the first sentence is mere clarification.  Depending on the field of study a big Nvidia gpu might actually be needed and the result might actually be a machine that games well.  Priority one is what you are doing though.  Iirc the Linus Thorvalds machine wasn’t built for gaming at all.  Sort of the opposite.  It would game fine at 1080p though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

41 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

bit harsh 

but i suppose I agree..  if you are going to spend that money on a gaming PC, I would get one of those 1650s 

I didn't expect to be schooled but I agree with both of you. It took me two years to get this scholarship while I was living with $800 dollars a month to pay the rent and everything else. I don't want this happening to others, so if I can restrain from using more than I need I could indirectly be helping other people.

For now, my work relies mostly on CPU and RAM. What would be the minimum GPU I can get to just display the image? Should I finish the build with a GT 710 ($60 CAD)? Or should I go for a 5600G instead?

1 minute ago, Luis_V said:

I didn't expect to be schooled but I agree with both of you. It took me two years to get this scholarship while I was living with $800 dollars a month to pay the rent and everything else. I don't want this happening to others, so if I can restrain from using more than I need I could indirectly be helping other people.

For now, my work relies mostly on CPU and RAM. What would be the minimum GPU I can get to just display the image? Should I finish the build with a GT 710 ($60 CAD)? Or should I go for a 5600G instead?

I think if you picked out CPU and RAM to be well suited to your PhD workload using scholarship money, and then paid for the GPU out-of-pocket, that would be totally fine.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

get well-supported hardware like the 1650. Edu Edition software was pretty hardware sensitive when I was in school.

Nothing worse than having to go to the lab at night because the software doesn't respect the Cyrix 5x86's functionality.

2 hours ago, Luis_V said:

With cpu is it single thread speed or number of threads that is more useful to what you are doing?  Higher end CPUs often don’t have iGPs at all, though there are intel ones that do I suppose. It’s often cheaper to get a lower end discrete card.  Big GPUs only stretch themselves gaming on high resolution monitors anyway so if you don’t have one of those and you don’t need a higher end Nvidia card for the CUDA if you’ve got a 1080p monitor, a big card would be wasted even for gaming.  There are a couple of youtubers i’ve watched like Dawd does tech stuff and low spec gamer that know a lot about the particulars of 7 series cards that may have something useful on that.  Using your own money to do a bigger card is a viable thing, a bit like buying a game console.  I dont know if a 5600g would be less cpu than is useful for your rig or not the g is a vega11 which is supposed to be a good bit more powerful than a 710 gpu wise, but less than. 1030.  It becomes a question of getting the most useful cpu for your research needs.  That actually could be a 5600g. I don’t know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.