New FIBER! Requires PPPOE, and my existing router refuses connection.

Wildarms7k

Hello!

I recently got fiber in my area through a company called Consolidated Communications. Currently I’ve got fiber dropped into the house, plugged in to an ONT they provided, and begrudgingly a router they also provided. I was given a PPPOE login(which is odd, but hey they were a DSL Company and now they’re doing fiber) but the techs refused to work on anything that wasn’t their own equipment. Fine. I’ve done networking before I’m sure I can handle this. I get it set up to the point where my ASUS Router system can recognize it has an internet connection after plugging in the PPPOE info and copying as much info from the original router as possible (even MAC address clone) but my wired devices web browsers say “Login required” and my phones fail connecting to the wifi after “too many redirects attempted”. I’m curious if anyone has had similar issues and what their solution was. Currently I have the ONT going to their provided router, turned off all wifi signals, and a single wired connection then going out to my router and network system I had in place. 

please help!

Saw your post browsing the forum and decided to make an account because your post caught my eye. I have the same ISP (love them, by the way!) and using Ubiquiti networking gear on them without any issues. In fact, their tech got on the phone for me to get my PPPOE credentials before he left. Even waited on hold, on my behalf, to get the job done.

I'm not sure why your setup isn't working based on what you've said so far, but just wanted to let you know it certainly can be done. My setup on my Ubiquiti router looks like the following:

IPv4 Connection: PPPOE

Username: Looks something like MyFirstName1+MyCircuitID@myfrpt.net

Password: They'll provide this to you if you call, or you can find it from your provided router as you did

IPv6 Connection: Disabled

I'll also add that I did not need to clone the MAC or do anything special to get that working. My setup goes direct from the ONT into the WAN1 port of my UniFi gateway. Their provided router sits nearby as a doorstop .

The problem is probably the cloned MAC address, you need to get your router to work with its default MAC which may not be possible if the ISP is requiring logins and use of there own router. In this case I would set up the ISP router like they say and then plug your routers wan side into there lan side. I would then configure your router to use a VPN causing your endpoints to all go over VPN without ever touching your ISP.

Why leave the ISP's router in? It should normally be removed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

49 minutes ago, CWALD said:

The problem is probably the cloned MAC address, you need to get your router to work with its default MAC which may not be possible if the ISP is requiring logins and use of there own router. In this case I would set up the ISP router like they say and then plug your routers wan side into there lan side. I would then configure your router to use a VPN causing your endpoints to all go over VPN without ever touching your ISP.

The clone MAC address was just another step in troubleshooting why it wasn't working, just in case that was the issue.

52 minutes ago, GraniteGuy said:

Saw your post browsing the forum and decided to make an account because your post caught my eye. I have the same ISP (love them, by the way!) and using Ubiquiti networking gear on them without any issues. In fact, their tech got on the phone for me to get my PPPOE credentials before he left. Even waited on hold, on my behalf, to get the job done.

I'm not sure why your setup isn't working based on what you've said so far, but just wanted to let you know it certainly can be done. My setup on my Ubiquiti router looks like the following:

IPv4 Connection: PPPOE

Username: Looks something like MyFirstName1+MyCircuitID@myfrpt.net

Password: They'll provide this to you if you call, or you can find it from your provided router as you did

IPv6 Connection: Disabled

I'll also add that I did not need to clone the MAC or do anything special to get that working. My setup goes direct from the ONT into the WAN1 port of my UniFi gateway. Their provided router sits nearby as a doorstop .

Yeah the tech was here until 7:55PM and was adamant that "Well it works with our router and my job is done". I do have my PPPOE Login info and according to my router it sees an internet connection and gets an IP after that info is plugged in.

BTW: I'm using an ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 which should support all of this with no issue.