How do I use the full capacity of my 5TB SSD?

TheSnarfles
Go to solution Solved by TheSnarfles,
18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Have it in GPT, make a volume of the whole size, format it NTFS and add a letter if there's none for some reason (but formatting would normally ask you which to use and do it for you directly).

Thank you, this helped. When creating the volume and formatting the drive it asks for a drive letter but, for whatever reason, that drive letter is not getting applied. I had to manually do it again after it formatted. The full thing shows up now and I will proceed to fill it with games that I will definitely get around to actually playing. Thanks again!

Hi all,

I recently got a Western Digital P10 with a 5TB capacity and am having trouble setting up partitions so it can be used. Disk Management shows two unallocated spaces; one with a 2TB capacity and one with a 2.6TB capacity. I can set up a volume on the 2TB portion but all the options on the remaining 2.6TB of unallocated space are greyed out. When I tried converting the whole drive to GPT, it displayed as a single 4.6TB volume in Disk Management but it does not show up in file explorer. My goal is to either have a single 4.6TB volume that I can drop all my games into or have two 2TB volumes and a 600GB volume. 

Thanks in advance

Have it in GPT, make a volume of the whole size, format it NTFS and add a letter if there's none for some reason (but formatting would normally ask you which to use and do it for you directly).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Kind of off topic, but that drive is a HDD, not SSD. The SSD versions only go up to 2TB I believe. A 5TB SSD would be like $500 at least.

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Thank you, this helped. When creating the volume and formatting the drive it asks for a drive letter but, for whatever reason, that drive letter is not getting applied. I had to manually do it again after it formatted. The full thing shows up now and I will proceed to fill it with games that I will definitely get around to actually playing. Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, FRD said:

Kind of off topic, but that drive is a HDD, not SSD. The SSD versions only go up to 2TB I believe. A 5TB SSD would be like $500 at least.

I was wondering why I felt it vibrating... but hey, if I need fast load times I can throw stuff on my NVME.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:07 AM, TheSnarfles said:

I was wondering why I felt it vibrating... but hey, if I need fast load times I can throw stuff on my NVME.

lol
Hopefully in a few (or many) years we could have a 5TB SSD for the price of $100-150.

Yeah, usually HDDs are still fine for loading games though. Just put the more important/demanding games on your NVME.

The Western Digital P series SSD, which is also NVME costs like $150 for 1TB. Still a bit overpriced nowadays.