Cheapest gaming rig possible

Mike171
Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

I guess you can find a cheap lga 775 system or a cheap optiplex or whatever other cheap prebuilt of that era for around 30-50$

Then just upgrade the ram, cpu, and stick the 1050 in

My pc is prob worth 100$ but i guess it plays mc somewhat though havent tried other games since the g31 igpu is old asf

And it does stutter quite alot, even with the e8400 at ~4.27ghz

So dont expect much for 100$

Budget (including currency): 100usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Android emulator, princess connect, genshin impact

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Asking for a friend, he has a working gtx1050ti

You are better off getting like an old enterprise PC or something and sticking the 1050ti in it. Just make sure the PSU could power it.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

100$?  That's not really going to get far, even without a GPU.

something like this, would work pretty well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324744598616?hash=item4b9c495458:g:3VEAAOSwDqBgtHXF

Drop in the GPU, and upgrade to an SSD when he has 50$ to buy one.

I agree with this, but I can't see any PCIe cables coming from the PSU, so it may need a PSU upgrade as well.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

6 minutes ago, tishous said:

I agree with this, but I can't see any PCIe cables coming from the PSU, so it may need a PSU upgrade as well.

Nope.  The 1050TI doesn't need additional power.

Those towers are frequently bundled with low-end quadros or other "business" GPUs.  It'll have the headroom for a sub-75W GPU. 

It comes with a 250W PSU, which is fine for the stupid-low power 6500, and a 75W 1050TI.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Those towers are frequently bundled with low-end quadros or other "business" GPUs.  It'll have the headroom for a sub-75W GPU. 

Depends tho. There are some models with a 6pin connector so without knowing what exact model it might be needed.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It depends on the model. Most don't, but it's good to check beforehand.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

I guess you can find a cheap lga 775 system or a cheap optiplex or whatever other cheap prebuilt of that era for around 30-50$

Then just upgrade the ram, cpu, and stick the 1050 in

My pc is prob worth 100$ but i guess it plays mc somewhat though havent tried other games since the g31 igpu is old asf

And it does stutter quite alot, even with the e8400 at ~4.27ghz

So dont expect much for 100$

Btw since my specialty is lga 775 and also decent at ultrabudget builds ill give the important stuff that you must know to get the most out of your budget without the pc catching on fire

Generic but branded 500w psus might be ok, i dont reccomend them but as a user of 3$ generic 500w psus ive learned a few things

DO NOT just DO NOT pair one of these generic psus to a high end board like the p35 and p45 chipsets, the psu volts will go haywire and cpu vcore will be a mess

They are ok to be used on cheaper and lower end hardware such as the 31 and 33 chipset mobos

Make sure your psu only has 1 12v rail and said 12v rail must have 20a or higher, 25a+ reccomended for this situation since the cpu will prob draw around 100w (assuming its a quad like the q6600) and the gpu will draw 75w max since the pcie slot is the limiter

I do not reccomend the 41 and 43 chipsets as they have rather low fsb capabilities, even gets trounced on by g31

31 will do around 450

33 will do around 500

35 will do 600+

41 will do 370, 390 tops

43 will do 400, 430 tops

45 will do 650-700+

Though to get fsbs over 500 i suggest going for ddr3 boards or ddr2 1066 if you have access to that type of ram

If you get a 65nm quad like the q6600 i suggest bsel modding to 333fsb for 3ghz, tons of tutorials for this on yt

If you get a 45nm quad like xeon e/x/l54xx series and happen to have a board that will go over 400fsb, bsel mod to 400fsb or if you can do it via bios you can oc higher than 400fsb

Q6600 will do 3ghz on stock volts easily

54xx series xeons do around 3.6 or 3.8 on stock volts, though not sure if this applies to the l series xeons or lower clocked xeons

If youd like to do some voltmodding you can search for celeron d 300 datasheet and on page 18 there will be a table for the voltages you can set by powering or blocking the vid pads on the cpu

To block a pad, stick some electrical tape over it

To power a pad connect it to a vcc pad via conductive ink and maybe even pencil

Ok at this point i should just make a box of info or something in my acc desc so if i ever need to give this much info ill have it ready to be copy pasted ;-;