Valorant FPS Issues

hirozedjr

I recently switched from an i5-2500 to an Ryzen 5 2600, and I am now having strange frame rate issues. Valorant runs locked at 75 FPS when not moving my mouse or pressing keys, locked at 98 FPS when only pressing keys, and locked at 140 FPS when moving my mouse with or without pressing keys. Checking task manager reveals that both my CPU and GPU are basically doing nothing, running at 15-20% utilization each, and often my GPU wont even spin up its fan. Interestingly, when I run the game in windowed mode and then minimize it it seems to run at full fps, I cannot confirm this, since if I open the game back up it acts as before, but in task manager the CPU and GPU both jump up to ~50% utilization and my fans ramp up. My frame times in game seem slow, around 5-6ms. I have checked other games for the same issue and they work fine. 

Keep in mind that my system ran at ~200 FPS with the i5, and previously has run this very same 2600 at ~250 FPS

I have:

updated drivers, restarted PC, reinstalled Valorant, reinstalled Ryzen Master twice, ran the game in all window modes, capped and uncapped fps, validated that vsync and freesync are both off, checked my system for strange apps, made sure my PC is running in the correct power settings and XMP profile, checked all settings in AMD Radeon Software. 

The only things I can think of to do next is try using my Ryzen 5 1600x and seeing if that solves the issue, or using a different set of memory. 

Specs: 

Ryzen 5 2600

Radeon RX 470

2x8 GB 3200 MHz 

ASRock PRO AB350 

Windows 10 64 bit

650 Watt PSU

EDIT:

I have tried running the system with my 1600x, and it resulted the same.

1 hour ago, hirozedjr said:

I recently switched from an i5-2500 to an Ryzen 5 2600, and I am now having strange frame rate issues. Valorant runs locked at 75 FPS when not moving my mouse or pressing keys, locked at 98 FPS when only pressing keys, and locked at 140 FPS when moving my mouse with or without pressing keys. Checking task manager reveals that both my CPU and GPU are basically doing nothing, running at 15-20% utilization each, and often my GPU wont even spin up its fan. Interestingly, when I run the game in windowed mode and then minimize it it seems to run at full fps, I cannot confirm this, since if I open the game back up it acts as before, but in task manager the CPU and GPU both jump up to ~50% utilization and my fans ramp up. My frame times in game seem slow, around 5-6ms. I have checked other games for the same issue and they work fine. 

Keep in mind that my system ran at ~200 FPS with the i5, and previously has run this very same 2600 at ~250 FPS

I have:

updated drivers, restarted PC, reinstalled Valorant, reinstalled Ryzen Master twice, ran the game in all window modes, capped and uncapped fps, validated that vsync and freesync are both off, checked my system for strange apps, made sure my PC is running in the correct power settings and XMP profile, checked all settings in AMD Radeon Software. 

The only things I can think of to do next is try using my Ryzen 5 1600x and seeing if that solves the issue, or using a different set of memory. 

Specs: 

Ryzen 5 2600

Radeon RX 470

2x8 GB 3200 MHz 

ASRock PRO AB350 

Windows 10 64 bit

650 Watt PSU

EDIT:

I have tried running the system with my 1600x, and it resulted the same.

We’re there any hardware or settings changes other than the cpu swap prior to the problem occuring?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

We’re there any hardware or settings changes other than the cpu swap prior to the problem occuring?

No, I had played the game just last night with no issues and no changes in between then and now.

4 minutes ago, hirozedjr said:

No, I had played the game just last night with no issues and no changes in between then and now.

No, but with modification? Was that before or after the switch was made? I’m wondering if there might be something else causing the problem. If multiple changes were made things get harder.  If the ONLY change made was the cpu swap that only leaves accidental stuff like bumping a cable but that kind of thing generally results in complete shutdowns rather than slowness.  Could be a software issue or a hardware issue.  It sounds like this is related to USB  peripherals in some way, but there’s no way to tell if it’s a compatibility issue or a bios issue or a peripheral specific issue or what.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

No, but with modification? Was that before or after the switch was made? I’m wondering if there might be something else causing the problem. If multiple changes were made things get harder.  If the ONLY change made was the cpu swap that only leaves accidental stuff like bumping a cable but that kind of thing generally results in complete shutdowns rather than slowness.  Could be a software issue or a hardware issue.  It sounds like this is related to USB  peripherals in some way, but there’s no way to tell if it’s a compatibility issue or a bios issue or a peripheral specific issue or what.

I'm sorry to inform you of this, and as an experienced Windows user I am embarrassed to tell you that the one thing I DIDN'T do was to update Windows. My issue is fixed, I'm somewhat of a disgrace and will swiftly be exiting this forum.

1 minute ago, hirozedjr said:

I'm sorry to inform you of this, and as an experienced Windows user I am embarrassed to tell you that the one thing I DIDN'T do was to update Windows. My issue is fixed, I'm somewhat of a disgrace and will swiftly be exiting this forum.

Lol.  Happens to everyone I understand.  Has definitely happened to me.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Lol.  Happens to everyone I understand.  Has definitely happened to me.

Unfortunately the problem has resurfaced after a restart. To address your previous message "No, but with modification..." This was before the swap, the CPU and motherboard are the only things changed between last night and this afternoon when i switched CPUs. I believe the variance in FPS when using my mouse and keyboard is a Valorant thing more than the cause of my issue, since it has always fluctuated based on what input is given to it, with no input giving the highest, a keyboard input giving the second highest, and a mouse input giving the lowest. I have just now tried swapping my CPU again and running my RAM in single channel mode, with no difference. I am reluctant to swap my motherboard, since the other AM4 board I have is prone to crashes and instability. I am not sure why the problem was briefly fixed, or why it reverted to this state again.

The way this series of events took place goes as follows (from memory): Update Windows, restart, load up Valorant, see that the problem is solved, turn off PC, swap from 1600x (that was the CPU I was using when I realized that I hadn't updated Windows) to 2600, start PC, load up Valorant, see that the problem has shown back up. I have tried going back to the 1600x, but the issue is persisting. My final thought is that a Windows reinstall could solve the issue, since it was solved briefly after an update, with that being the only change that could have caused it.

yo OP how did you fix this, I have the exact issue, to the frame for what you specified, after switching from intel to ryzen cpu. 

EYEYEYEY i found the fix, I went into the radeon software and turned off variable refresh rate on the rate panel and my frames went up 10x. Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, hb22323 said:

yo OP how did you fix this, I have the exact issue, to the frame for what you specified, after switching from intel to ryzen cpu. 

Apparently by updating windows.  Problem with this kind of stuff is it could be any of a bajillion things. That one apparently solved his issue.  Still unknown what was actually wrong.  Might or might not be yours. Updating everything and checking all connections is a standard start that gets a bunch of possible stuff though. “Is it plugged in” and “have you turned it off and on” are generally good starts. (I think of ‘is it plugged in’ as the cable thing.  There are other bits to it)

5 hours ago, hb22323 said:

EYEYEYEY i found the fix, I went into the radeon software and turned off variable refresh rate on the rate panel and my frames went up 10x. Hope this helps!

I tried turning off variable refresh rate but the problem is still happening, did you do anything else that might have fixed it?

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem and I fixed It by doing a clean reinstall of my amd gpu drivers