Looking for a good fan controller

First post to LTT fourms woohoo!

Hello all. I currently have server on a rack that is 4U in size. I've been looking around for a Fan controller that will fit my needs well but im not finding anything so I'm curious if anyone else knew of anything that maybe I'm missing. I have 3 fans and they can pull 2A at the most. They also use PWM.

I've already gone through two amazon controllers (both non PWM) but the mosfets on them just cant handle it if I need everything on high speed. I have tried plugging them into the motherboard but they run too fast for the slowest speed so thats out.
Was considering an industrial controller but I'm not that desperate yet. 

The controller Im looking for would be ideally:

Under $100

Able to handle pulling a max of 7A @ 12V (most important)
Fits in a 5.25 bay (can 3D print something to adapt if needed)
Able to adjust according to set conditions (external or internal)

With only 3 fans if you’re not dealing with RGB you can just plug them into the motherboard.  Even if there’s only one motherboard fan headers a 3 way “y” splitter will do you if they’re all going to run at the same speed and are the same size. If it’s an rgb issue there are specific rgb only controllers but that gets into proprietary connector crap I don’t bother to understand myself. If rgb is a thing though you’re going to have to deal with fan make and model (because it’s not always even between makes) and since none is listed there’s no way to make a recommendation. Fan pwm is fan pwm though and unless the motherboard is really old it will have pwm motherboard headers.  Probably more than one.  Fan speed is totally controllable via pwm from motherboard fan curves.  Could be your motherboard is broken I guess.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

51 minutes ago, RazzRaccoon said:

I have tried plugging them into the motherboard but they run too fast for the slowest speed so thats out.

This has me a little confused, if your board is running in PWM mode then they should be able to run fairly slow in a "Quiet" fan curve on most motherboards. 

You sure they aren't in DC mode? Also if you dont need the max speed, you could put an inline resistor in, which many such as those from Noctua (their Low Noise Adapters) drop approx 500rpm, they are suitable up to 2.5A fans to cover their industrial (PPA range) fans 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I'll double check the setting in the UEFI but the from what I remember the slowest I was able to run something was 50% Duty cycle manually. Automatic setting just ran them about the same. (this board does not have an RPM graph or anything) I did see the Noctua fan controller there I'll have to consider that as well if it can handle the amperage.