Something wrong with wireless card?

dcjhop

When I'm connected to my 5 Ghz wifi I have no problems with ping but when I switch to my 2.4 Ghz option my ping is really bad. I have just started using a new computer and this has never happened on my old computer. My hotspot which is also 2.4 Ghz is also very inconsistent even though the connection is very close. Does anyone know if this is a hardware problem?

1 hour ago, dcjhop said:

When I'm connected to my 5 Ghz wifi I have no problems with ping but when I switch to my 2.4 Ghz option my ping is really bad. I have just started using a new computer and this has never happened on my old computer. My hotspot which is also 2.4 Ghz is also very inconsistent even though the connection is very close. Does anyone know if this is a hardware problem?

2.4 Ghz is a very busy band. Bluetooth, Cordless phones, Microwaves all use this band. Due to its range other networks operating on the same or adjacent channels can cause issues. My guess is you have some kind of interference on that band. Keep in mind, just because 2.4 GHz was fine one day doesnt mean it will be fine always. 

5Ghz due to is lower range and less shit using the band is generally the way to go. 2.4 Ghz should only be used if you have no choice and you need to make sure your expectations are lowered to the correct levels. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

2.4 Ghz is a very busy band. Bluetooth, Cordless phones, Microwaves all use this band. Due to its range other networks operating on the same or adjacent channels can cause issues. My guess is you have some kind of interference on that band. Keep in mind, just because 2.4 GHz was fine one day doesnt mean it will be fine always. 

5Ghz due to is lower range and less shit using the band is generally the way to go. 2.4 Ghz should only be used if you have no choice and you need to make sure your expectations are lowered to the correct levels. 

Thank you for the reply! Hopefully my hardware is fine I just hope when I don't have access to 5 Ghz everything will be fine.