Advice for upgrade path needed ( gaming - emulation )

Hello everyone, i am currently looking forward to replacing my current rig with an upgrade due to multiple issues and help in various new workloads ( mainly emulation of various platforms at 60 - 120 - 144 FPS ) 

I do not have a specific budget, i'll just be working towards the goal overtime. 

My current objective is to be able to run my games at 1080P 144Hz at pretty high but reasonable settings. ( possibly looking to upgrade to 1440P high refresh rate in the future )

I am coming to this forum mainly to ask about possible upgrades for CPU / RAM / Mobo / i've had multiple blue screens relating to my CPU. (machine check exception)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Battlefield 2042, GTAV, COD MW, 120 FPS emulation ( FGO ) 

Current Gaming Rig :

CPU : I5 9600K ( with noctua cooler ) 

RAM : 16 Gigs of HyperX DDR4 3200 MHz CL88 ( UDIMM ? kit ) 

Motherboard : Asus Prime Z390-A

GPU : RTX 2080 XC EVGA 

NVM-E boot SSD : Samsung 970 EVO + 500GIG

BENQ 144 HZ 1080P monitor + auxilary 60Hz 

Multiple other storage devices for games mainly samsung 860 EVO SSD and HDD for backups

I was thinking of going Ryzen 7 or 9 if stocks aren't a problem ( probably is ) 

My ram might not be fast or big enough? Maybe 32 Gigs at 3600 MHz?

Not sure if my current motherboard can welcome new gen Ryzen. 

GPU isn't really a planned upgrade.

I personally wouldn't upgrade your GPU, however upgrading your CPU would help it, you have a pretty reasonable amount of RAM, my only advice on that is to get higher frequency or add more sticks of RAM to it.

8 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Not sure if my current motherboard can welcome new gen Ryzen. 

You will need to get a new motherboard since you're switching to the AM4 socket which is not compatible with LGA 1151.

Emulation isn't really that intensive (your current rig can definitely handle pretty much any emulation task you can throw at it, e.g. Wii/GCN at 4K and Switch at 1080p (1440p would probably be fine as well, I've gotten ACNH running pretty well on my laptop at 1080p with a 1050 and i5-9300H although there are stutters)

My specs:

Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-54)

Intel Core i5-9300H

1TB HDD (WDC WD10SPZX-21Z10T0) + 128GB M.2 SSD (KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ1)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (3GB VRAM / 16GB shared) + Intel UHD Graphics 630 (16GB shared)

32GB Crucial CL19 DDR4 (SDRAM) 2667MHz (downclocked from 3200MHz)

1080p 60Hz 15.6in display overclocked to 75Hz

Windows 11 22H2

Old desktop computer

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

2GB DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (825MB shared (planning on getting a GT 710 to replace this)

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Professional SP1

Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB 80TV (broken hinge)

Intel Core i5-7200U

1TB HDD

Intel HD Graphics 630 (2GB shared)

8GB DDR4 2133MHz

768p 60Hz 15.6in display

Linux Mint 20

I would just look for an i9-9900K, you would get 8 cores + hyperthreading which would be a pretty big improvement over your current CPU. 9900K is also the same socket as 9600K so you wouldn't need a new mobo.

The 2080 is still a good card. I would say keep it and wait till gpu market sorts itself out.

Just now, ExperiencersInternational said:

I personally wouldn't upgrade your GPU, however upgrading your CPU would help it, you have a pretty reasonable amount of RAM, my only advice on that is to get higher frequency or add more sticks of RAM to it.

You will need to get a new motherboard since you're switching to the AM4 socket which is not compatible with LGA 1151.

Emulation isn't really that intensive (your current rig can definitely handle pretty much any emulation task you can throw at it, e.g. Wii/GCN at 4K and Switch at 1080p (1440p would probably be fine as well, I've gotten ACNH running pretty well on my laptop at 1080p with a 1050 and i5-9300H although there are stutters)

Oh i wasn't really planning to upgrade my GPU, my problem with it is that i have some weird performance issues happening with it on apex legends mostly, but that might just be a game specific problem.

Any RAM you could recommand me?

Any MOBO's you think are pretty good for AM4 socket? ( Would require at least 4 USB's in the back of it + 970 EVO NVM-E compatible gen slot )

As for emulation the biggest things i have is sudden freezes and crashes on MuMu APP player during 60-120 FPS gameplay in FGO but that might again just be a specific problem 

1 minute ago, Neko Yumi said:

Oh i wasn't really planning to upgrade my GPU, my problem with it is that i have some weird performance issues happening with it on apex legends mostly, but that might just be a game specific problem.

Any RAM you could recommand me?

Any MOBO's you think are pretty good for AM4 socket? ( Would require at least 4 USB's in the back of it + 970 EVO NVM-E compatible gen slot )

As for emulation the biggest things i have is sudden freezes and crashes on MuMu APP player during 60-120 FPS gameplay in FGO but that might again just be a specific problem 

Never used that emulator that you've stated so I can't really help.

I've never built a computer as well, I recommend asking the community for RAM you could use (G-Skill might be a good idea, they do decent RAM capacities and high frequencies) and a motherboard.

My specs:

Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-54)

Intel Core i5-9300H

1TB HDD (WDC WD10SPZX-21Z10T0) + 128GB M.2 SSD (KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ1)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (3GB VRAM / 16GB shared) + Intel UHD Graphics 630 (16GB shared)

32GB Crucial CL19 DDR4 (SDRAM) 2667MHz (downclocked from 3200MHz)

1080p 60Hz 15.6in display overclocked to 75Hz

Windows 11 22H2

Old desktop computer

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

2GB DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (825MB shared (planning on getting a GT 710 to replace this)

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Professional SP1

Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB 80TV (broken hinge)

Intel Core i5-7200U

1TB HDD

Intel HD Graphics 630 (2GB shared)

8GB DDR4 2133MHz

768p 60Hz 15.6in display

Linux Mint 20

Just now, Jonathan Lee said:

I would just look for an i9-9900K, you would get 8 cores + hyperthreading which would be a pretty big improvement over your current CPU. 9900K is also the same socket as 9600K so you wouldn't need a new mobo.

The 2080 is still a good card. I would say keep it and wait till gpu market sorts itself out.

GPU upgrade wasn't really planned do not worry. 

That is indeed a possibility.. although i thought my current chip did have hyperthreading.. damn.

I did realise that i had too fewer cores when i got surprised with a new GPU ( my I5 choice was made when a GTX 970 was being used at the time of the purchase )

thanks for your suggestion!

Just now, ExperiencersInternational said:

Never used the emulator that you've stated so I can't really help.

I've never built a computer as well, I recommend asking the community for RAM you could use (G-Skill might be a good idea, they do decent RAM capacities and high frequencies) and a motherboard.

Alright i'll wait for more answers~ ! Thank you !

2 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

That is indeed a possibility.. although i thought my current chip did have hyperthreading.. damn.

Yea Intel kinda handicapped itself during 9th gen XD.

5 minutes ago, Neko Yumi said:

Any MOBO's you think are pretty good for AM4 socket?

A good B550 chipset is what I would recommend if you plan to go ryzen. MSI B550 Tomahawk and Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro are good choices.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Yea Intel kinda handicapped itself during 9th gen XD.

A good B550 chipset is what I would recommend if you plan to go ryzen. MSI B550 Tomahawk and Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro are good choices.

Sounds good.. although looking at the good ol' 5000 series AMD processor graphs i think i have a large amount of money to work for.

I am seriously wondering if the I9 9900K is even worth the purchase with ryzen around 

i can find deals around 300€..