Checking/marking bad sectors on HDD today

cacoe

I have good reason to believe at least one of my HDDs in a Windows RAID0 array is failing.

I understand the dangers of RAID0 and it doesn't matter if the data is lost (anything important is backed up), just wanted to get that out of the way first lol.

I haven't had to do a sector check in a long time, what would be the preferred method in 2021? I'm guessing a live linux distro would be best?

Addtionally, (and I'll be surprised if anyone knows this because it's so specfiic) as I've used a raid0 software solution proprietary to Windows, if any sectors are marked as bad, is that going to make the raid array fail? 

I will be looking for replacements assuming any bad sectors are found.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

12 hours ago, cacoe said:

I have good reason to believe at least one of my HDDs in a Windows RAID0 array is failing.

I understand the dangers of RAID0 and it doesn't matter if the data is lost (anything important is backed up), just wanted to get that out of the way first lol.

I haven't had to do a sector check in a long time, what would be the preferred method in 2021? I'm guessing a live linux distro would be best?

Addtionally, (and I'll be surprised if anyone knows this because it's so specfiic) as I've used a raid0 software solution proprietary to Windows, if any sectors are marked as bad, is that going to make the raid array fail? 

I will be looking for replacements assuming any bad sectors are found.

I think crystal disk info would do the trick. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/image.thumb.png.45938d5dd845818aa70b2e430a8e7d29.png

6 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

I think crystal disk info would do the trick. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/image.thumb.png.45938d5dd845818aa70b2e430a8e7d29.png

Thanks, will deffo check out the smart status, the whole theory of the drive failing only came to mind while I was nodding off to sleep last night so I haven't had the chance to check yet.

This should certainly provide some ideas as to whether there are write failures, there's a lot of empty space which has probably never been written to, would still like to do a full sector check ideally.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT