Help with ISP setting

Snowman213

Yesterday I had windstream install kinetic their gigabit internet. I did some internet speed test wired, wireless and I got nothing above 70 mb/s. Then I go into the isp ip to look at settings and I see it says max 77mb/s. Is there something I can change in settings to fix this and get the 940 mb/s I'm suppose to be getting? Or do I have to call them a 3rd time ( or even more 😞 ) for them to tell me its working just fine. Screenshot_352.thumb.png.55364b3d74fe615bb3d4b6d1b85256b8.png

What type of Connection do they have? Is it a dsl connection?

Yea this seems like a you need to work with your ISP issue.

And I have worked a bit with windstream, and they really aren't great normally. Are these windstream lines? They might be just reselling ATTs services.

Yes its dsl. They had lines going out to our power box at the street. Me and my dad had to run cat 5e from the box into our house cause they don't install lines. And sure they could be using other isp lines. As well as they said from our box back to the main was about 3500 meters. 

1 minute ago, Snowman213 said:

Yes its dsl. They had lines going out to our power box at the street. Me and my dad has to run cat 5e from the box into our house cause they don't install lines. So sure they could be using other isp lines. As well as they said from our box back to the main was about 3500 meters. 

I don't see how they would get gig over those dsl lines, I don't think thats possible currently.

You really can only complain to their support here.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:18 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't see how they would get gig over those dsl lines, I don't think thats possible currently.

I it is possible G.fast , G.mgfast (XG-fast/NG-fast), TDSL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.fast

On 7/31/2021 at 11:16 PM, Snowman213 said:

Yes its dsl. As well as they said from our box back to the main was about 3500 meters. 

But in this case something is obviously not working as advertised and my guess is that 3.5km distance between your box and the main box... Anyhow you will have to contact your ISP to get this sorted out.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

I just called my dad and to see if there was anything I left out and it turns out we only ran new wire from the breaker into the house and that the line running from the power box on the road to the breaker is old line. So were going to replace it with the cat 5e we have and see it that fixes it. Your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

it is possible G.fast , G.mgfast (XG-fast/NG-fast), TDSL

Yea it could be, but if the distance is 3.5km I don't know of any solution that is close to getting 1gig from those distances.

2 minutes ago, Snowman213 said:

I just called my dad and to see if there was anything I left out and it turns out we only ran new wire from the breaker into the house and that the line running from the power box on the road to the breaker is old line. So were going to replace it with the cat 5e we have and see it that fixes it. Your thoughts? 

Yea better cables will help, but I don't think it will be the difference between ~70 meg and gigabit. 

This feels like the ISP should be doing the cabling work to me though, Id make their support do it as there got providing the speeds your paying for.

9 hours ago, Snowman213 said:

Could be that your ethernet is running at 100Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s due to bad cable or connectors... but that wouldn't explain 15 Mb/s upload you are seeing, how much upload bandwidth are you supposed to get from your ISP?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

TBH I don't know how much upload was in the kinetic package, I only knew it was advertised with 940 mb/s download. 

To be fair over the phone I never asked and they never said, and when I do a speed test its right at 15 mb/s.  

21 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

I it is possible G.fast , G.mgfast (XG-fast/NG-fast), TDSL

I doubt that it's g.fast since the highest speeds that were available capped out at around 300 down and 30 up and that depends on the length of the copper line like with any VDSL connection, so I'm guessing that the OP has been sold a package they can't actually get or the installation was botched as for those speeds you would need a direct fibre line to the residence.