5950X -> Bootlooping when enabling XMP/DOCP + Memory in certain slots

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
1 minute ago, Laucien said:

Hey guys,  I just put together a new system and while everything seems to work great I found an issue with the RAM sticks when setting them to their advertised OC speed. 

If I place the sticks in slots 1 and 3 (counting from left, closest to the CPU, to right) everything works at stock default speeds but as soon as I set the DOCP profile to hit 3600mhz it crashes and bootloops 3 times then comes up in 'safe mode' taking me into the UEFI setup to change the settings. 

If I put the sticks in slots 2 and 4 everything works perfectly and I can set the speed to 3600mhz no problem. 

I tried putting one stick in slot one -> Enable DOCP -> Bootloop. Only one stick in slot 3 -> Enable DOCP -> Bootloop. Tried this with both sticks of RAM individually. 

The hardware I'm using is this: 
* Ryzen 9 5950X. 
* 2x16 Trident Z Neo -> This kit

* ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - BIOS updated to version 4002 which is the latest non-beta to date. 

Any idea what the problem could be? Is this something 'normal'? A problem with the mobo or the cpu not being installed properly or something else?. 

Thanks!.

Read the manual, it clearly says you have to use slots 2 & 4 first.

Hey guys,  I just put together a new system and while everything seems to work great I found an issue with the RAM sticks when setting them to their advertised OC speed. 

If I place the sticks in slots 1 and 3 (counting from left, closest to the CPU, to right) everything works at stock default speeds but as soon as I set the DOCP profile to hit 3600mhz it crashes and bootloops 3 times then comes up in 'safe mode' taking me into the UEFI setup to change the settings. 

If I put the sticks in slots 2 and 4 everything works perfectly and I can set the speed to 3600mhz no problem. 

I tried putting one stick in slot one -> Enable DOCP -> Bootloop. Only one stick in slot 3 -> Enable DOCP -> Bootloop. Tried this with both sticks of RAM individually. 

* Ryzen 9 5950X. 

* ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - BIOS updated to version 4002 which is the latest non-beta to date. 

Any idea what the problem could be? Is this something 'normal'? A problem with the mobo or the cpu not being installed properly or something else?. 

Thanks!.

1 minute ago, Laucien said:

* Ryzen 9 5950X. 

Thanks!.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm a dumbass. 

This, right? Pic from the manual

Still, having it outright not booting is kinda disturbing... makes me wonder if it would actually work if I populate all 4 haha. 

1 hour ago, Laucien said:

I'm a dumbass. 

This, right? Pic from the manual

Still, having it outright not booting is kinda disturbing... makes me wonder if it would actually work if I populate all 4 haha. 

It should. They tell you to use specific slots for a reason. It's based on the memory topology of the board. The fact that it won't boot with two sticks in the wrong slots doesn't mean there's anything wrong with those slots.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

20 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

It should. They tell you to use specific slots for a reason. It's based on the memory topology of the board. The fact that it won't boot with two sticks in the wrong slots doesn't mean there's anything wrong with those slots.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation :D.