Flashing BIOS onto rtx 2060 Super FE

Hi, I am trying to flash the evga SC Ultra BIOS on to my 2060 super FE card, I am using nvflash64 5.590 (with device id mismatch disabled) Every time I try to flash I get this error: 

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (10DE,1F47,10DE,13AD) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:0B,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (9D,7014) : ISSI IS25WP080 1.65-1.95V 8192Kx1S, page

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID's
    match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
      Adapter PCI Device ID:        1F47
      Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1F06
        Alternate:                1F2E
    WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (3842.3067x
      does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.13AD).
    WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID's
    match the Board ID of the adapter.
      Adapter Board ID:        015D
      Firmware image Board ID: 0160

NOTE: Exception caught.
    Nothing changed!

ERROR: GPU mismatch

I have tried multiple versions of the Windows version of NVflash, with no luck. I have heard that there is a DOS version of NVflash that some people have had success with. I do have the 3 install floppies for MSDOS 6.22 which I suppose I could use (provided I can find an old PATA/SCSI drive to put NVflash and the firmware file on, but the issue with that is 1: I haven't found a download for the dos version (or will the x86 windows version work in MSDOS?) 2: it would take a bit of effort to find DOS compatible storage devices to use (since NVflash won't fit on a floppy, I will need a drive of some kind) and I don't really want to do it unless there is a chance of it working. 

If anybody else had this issue and knows a solution please let me know thanks:)

Why do you want to do that? I own a 2060 Super FE. It works perfectly fine. If I wanted to OC it, I would do it with a utility in software.

If you do manage to flash the VBIOS successfully, at best you will introduce instabilities with improper VRAM timings. At worst, you brick the card from ever POSTing again.

Device ID mismatch, your card is a 10DE 1F47 but the BIOS you use is for 10DE 1F06. NVFlash hasnt done anything wrong here. You need to find a 1F47 BIOS instead.

There are speculations why RTX 2060 Super has three different IDs (1F06, 1F42 and 1F47), but no matter what, just matching the name (RTX 2060 Super) is not enough. You need to match the ID

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

Why do you want to do that? I own a 2060 Super FE. It works perfectly fine. If I wanted to OC it, I would do it with a utility in software.

If you do manage to flash the VBIOS successfully, at best you will introduce instabilities with improper VRAM timings. At worst, you brick the card from ever POSTing again.

I understand the risks and tbh... the main reason is because some people have reported being able to fully control the rgb after flashing a different BIOS lol. but also I want to do it so that I can get a 0rpm fan mode, and a slightly increased power limit would be nice.

I do have somewhat a solution to the risks, in case it fails and doesn't display, I have a batch file on the desktop that will flash the stock firmware that I can navigate to even without a display out. and if worst comes to worst and it doesn't post, I can always stick the card in a system with an IGP, boot the the IGP then flash stock back to the card.

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Device ID mismatch, your card is a 10DE 1F47 but the BIOS you use is for 10DE 1F06. NVFlash hasnt done anything wrong here. You need to find a 1F47 BIOS instead.

There are speculations why RTX 2060 Super has three different IDs (1F06, 1F42 and 1F47), but no matter what, just matching the name (RTX 2060 Super) is not enough. You need to match the ID

Oh thats interesting... I didn't know nvidia made flashing such a pain in the ass lol

I checked here:https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=RTX+2060+Super&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since= and all of the available VBIOS were 10DE:1f06 (except for ONE of the 2 FE cards here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212287/nvidia-rtx2060super-8192-190531

Do you know there is a place where I can find 10DE:1F47 BIOS? and also... why would Nvdia do this? the only reason I can think is to prevent people from doing what I am trying to do. (if this is the case, they are becoming very apple-like, not to mention their impossible to disassemble/repair designs)

14 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

I understand the risks and tbh... the main reason is because some people have reported being able to fully control the rgb after flashing a different BIOS lol. but also I want to do it so that I can get a 0rpm fan mode, and a slightly increased power limit would be nice.

I do have somewhat a solution to the risks, in case it fails and doesn't display, I have a batch file on the desktop that will flash the stock firmware that I can navigate to even without a display out. and if worst comes to worst and it doesn't post, I can always stick the card in a system with an IGP, boot the the IGP then flash stock back to the card.

You do know that the EVGA Precision X1 app works with a stock Nvidia 2060 Super Founders Edition, right? I'm using v1.0.7 (I have no need to upgrade beyond that) specifically to turn off the Green LED on the card. The Mode is called "Static Off" in the X1 LED menu.

15 minutes ago, StDragon said:

You do know that the EVGA Precision X1 app works with a stock Nvidia 2060 Super Founders Edition, right? I'm using v1.0.7 (I have no need to upgrade beyond that) specifically to turn off the Green LED on the card. The Mode is called "Static Off" in the X1 LED menu.

I do know that it works (I use it for overclocking and stuff) but I want the LED to be red, which I have seen done via a BIOS flash unlocking the option in X1. I suppose the other way to do it would be to remove the vanity plate, then cross the green and red wires (sending all the power that should go to green down red) which would make the light some for of red, but doing that would be more risky than flashing the BIOS, and also since the plate is glued it probably would permanently ruin the look of the card.

13 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

I do know that it works (I use it for overclocking and stuff) but I want the LED to be red, which I have seen done via a BIOS flash unlocking the option in X1.

Interesting. I wasn't aware there was more than one LED. After searching online, the story goes that Nvidia at one point planned on full RGB control as the hardware is there, but ditched the idea in the last minute: presumably because the color inaccuracy was way off. If true, I guess that's one way of solving the issue; just drop the feature than attempt to recall the hardware at launch. 🤷‍♂️

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/nvidia_s_rtx_founders_edition_coolers_support_rgb_-_nvidia_locks_out_feature/1

"After installing Nvidia's Founders Edition cooler, Jay confirmed that Nvidia's RTX Founders Edition coolers have latent RGB functionality, allowing the cooler to offer new colour options that are not available on unmodified Founders Edition Graphics cards. Have you ever wanted to see a Geforce graphics card with Radeon Red lighting? Now you can!

What this testing proves is that Nvidia planned to support RGB illumination with their RTX series graphics cards, deciding later to abandon the feature for unknown reasons. In Jayz's video, he stated that the graphics card offers a purple-like hue when the lighting is set to blue and a "peachy-white" colour when Orange is selected, suggesting that Nvidia's colour grading was not perfect on their RGB graphics cards. Nvidia's inaccurate colour options may be why the company ultimately decided to ditch the feature, though that does not change the fact that the graphics cards feature these latent capabilities."

25 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware there was more than one LED. After searching online, the story goes that Nvidia at one point planned on full RGB control as the hardware is there, but ditched the idea in the last minute: presumably because the color inaccuracy was way off. If true, I guess that's one way of solving the issue; just drop the feature than attempt to recall the hardware at launch. 🤷‍♂️

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/nvidia_s_rtx_founders_edition_coolers_support_rgb_-_nvidia_locks_out_feature/1

"After installing Nvidia's Founders Edition cooler, Jay confirmed that Nvidia's RTX Founders Edition coolers have latent RGB functionality, allowing the cooler to offer new colour options that are not available on unmodified Founders Edition Graphics cards. Have you ever wanted to see a Geforce graphics card with Radeon Red lighting? Now you can!

What this testing proves is that Nvidia planned to support RGB illumination with their RTX series graphics cards, deciding later to abandon the feature for unknown reasons. In Jayz's video, he stated that the graphics card offers a purple-like hue when the lighting is set to blue and a "peachy-white" colour when Orange is selected, suggesting that Nvidia's colour grading was not perfect on their RGB graphics cards. Nvidia's inaccurate colour options may be why the company ultimately decided to ditch the feature, though that does not change the fact that the graphics cards feature these latent capabilities."

I like how Nvidia decided that since it wasn't perfect, instead of just defaulting to green and allowing users to play with it as they chose, they instead were like: lock it out, make it extremely hard to do, we can't let users see our failure! 

and I have seen that it is possible to unlock the functionality via a BIOS flash, but that seemed to only be possible on non super variants, it seems as though for some reason on the super variants, nvidia made the board have a different ID, making all board partner firmware incompatible with founders edition boards... at least I think.

here is someone who got it working on a 2070: https://imgur.com/gallery/HWvDoeY

1 hour ago, Skeledog said:

Do you know there is a place where I can find 10DE:1F47 BIOS?

Search for 1F47 in techpowerup vbios collection or google (which just points back to techpowerup because techpowerup's search function is worse)?

1 hour ago, Skeledog said:

why would Nvdia do this?

There could be minute differences under the hood between different IDs, but none that would make a difference in performance so they never talked about it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Search for 1F47 in techpowerup vbios collection or google (which just points back to techpowerup because techpowerup's search function is worse)?

There could be minute differences under the hood between different IDs, but none that would make a difference in performance so they never talked about it.

Well, I looked and literally the only bios (other than the one my card has) is this sketchy unverified Asus one: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213326/213326 It seems kinda risky, but I suppose if worst comes to worst I have a batch script set up to flash default that can be gotten to from desktop (so could do without display out) or I could stick the card in a Mobo with IGP and boot to IGP then flash I suppose? Is there a chance it could corrupt the eeprom beyond the point of being able flash the card? (like to the point where I would need to use something like an SI-Prog by physically clamping the eeprom?)

EDIT: assuming I did go through the effort to find and clamp the BIOS, would it work if I were to flash one of the non-compatable BIOS to the eeprom directly through PonyProg or some software like that?

56 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

but I suppose if worst comes to worst I have a batch script set up to flash default that can be gotten to from desktop (so could do without display out) or I could stick the card in a Mobo with IGP and boot to IGP then flash I suppose?

Yep

Is there a chance it could corrupt the eeprom beyond the point of being able flash the card? (like to the point where I would need to use something like an SI-Prog by physically clamping the eeprom?)

Not really if you stick to BIOS of the same ID

EDIT: assuming I did go through the effort to find and clamp the BIOS, would it work if I were to flash one of the non-compatable BIOS to the eeprom directly through PonyProg or some software like that?

No experience myself but even if it doesnt work, you can just flash directly again.

Desktop benching:

• 1 year later...

Hey! Sorry to message on such an old thread, was wondering if you even went through with rgb modding the 2060 super FE. I'm dying to learn more ,:). (I want it red too lol)