New server who dis?

Go to solution Solved by Ginz,

Check out https://pterodactyl.io/

Makes hosting/managing game servers a lot easier.

Hey guys! my work had some older servers hanging around and gave me one to learn more server set up / config stuff. 
What I want to do is set up a dedicated game server for grins and giggles. I would like to try 2 different os options 
I would like to try some linux server distro (probably ubuntu i'm a linux newb) and I would also like to play with server 2019 as thats what most of our clients run for their servers (most relevant to me learning for work) 
with that said 1. any games you would suggest? I have dual sandy bridge 6 core 12 thread cpu's at 2.5 ghz and a bunch of ram. I just want to make sure I set up a good experience for friends family and maybe to the public. 
my main concern #1 security, #2 learn networking / server configs, #3 host 24/7 game server, last but not least Have FUN!!!!
if anyone has suggestions pointers ideas or comments let me know. Thanks and have a great evening.

Surprisingly enough, Minecraft has kickstarted a lot of IT careers from people learning about server management. You might want to make a Minecraft server (since you have many threads, you could run multiple servers with Docker and link them together with BungeeCord) and learn about shell scripts, cron jobs, and a lot more just by automating general maintenance, like backups and economy with SQL. You can get more advanced by setting up a site for it using ngnix and Node.js and integrating more stuff into that site with APIs.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

12 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Surprisingly enough, Minecraft has kickstarted a lot of IT careers from people learning about server management. You might want to make a Minecraft server (since you have many threads, you could run multiple servers with Docker and link them together with BungeeCord) and learn about shell scripts, cron jobs, and a lot more just by automating general maintenance, like backups and economy with SQL. You can get more advanced by setting up a site for it using ngnix and Node.js and integrating more stuff into that site with APIs.

thanks I will seriously consider it! my only issue is how does licensing work for that? would everyone need their own copy of minecraft? or can I get like a volume license? since this falls out of my typical wheel house I'm clueless lol.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:41 PM, DatNerdBJ said:

thanks I will seriously consider it! my only issue is how does licensing work for that? would everyone need their own copy of minecraft? or can I get like a volume license? since this falls out of my typical wheel house I'm clueless lol.

Sorry for the late reply, the Minecraft server .jar is freely available on Minecraft's website as long as you don't redistribute it (alternative server versions like PaperMC work by patching a jar from MC's website). Anybody joining will need to have purchased Minecraft, however.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website