Do I need a second pcie cable for my 3070

Shreyas1
Go to solution Solved by Shreyas1,
9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on how the internal structure of the PSU is set up.  Which is black box to some degree. PSU makers do weird things with rails and logic and such.  It might be set up so it simply can’t pull enough power through one connector.  Which would make sense since it appears to be an on the verge of melting thing.  So it doesn’t necessarily mean WILL work work with a new PSU, as there could be something completely different wrong (for which only an RMA will likely do) but it eliminates one possibility.  

9 hours ago, Youn said:

So, the real answer to your question is a pigtail is good for a maximum of 220w of power. All instructions say avoid using above that. The TDP for a 3070 card is 220w. So, you could run it on a single cable if you don't mind the cable running at the pre-melting point of the plastic on the outside of the cable. If for any reason, you end up taxing the card and go above the 100% power usage, then your wires could melt. Is it really worth risking it for the cost of just hooking up a second cable?

13 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

a low wattage psu can cause a gpu to not powert on while still providing minimal power to fans lights etc i run a 1000 watt seasonic psu in my rig

UPDATE: after switching out to a 650w PSU (Corsair CX 650) with 2 cables it does in fact work! So the issue definitely was with the PSU. Thanks for the help!

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on how the internal structure of the PSU is set up.  Which is black box to some degree. PSU makers do weird things with rails and logic and such.  It might be set up so it simply can’t pull enough power through one connector.  Which would make sense since it appears to be an on the verge of melting thing.  So it doesn’t necessarily mean WILL work work with a new PSU, as there could be something completely different wrong (for which only an RMA will likely do) but it eliminates one possibility.  

9 hours ago, Youn said:

So, the real answer to your question is a pigtail is good for a maximum of 220w of power. All instructions say avoid using above that. The TDP for a 3070 card is 220w. So, you could run it on a single cable if you don't mind the cable running at the pre-melting point of the plastic on the outside of the cable. If for any reason, you end up taxing the card and go above the 100% power usage, then your wires could melt. Is it really worth risking it for the cost of just hooking up a second cable?

13 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

a low wattage psu can cause a gpu to not powert on while still providing minimal power to fans lights etc i run a 1000 watt seasonic psu in my rig

UPDATE: after switching out to a 650w PSU (Corsair CX 650) with 2 cables it does in fact work! So the issue definitely was with the PSU. Thanks for the help!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

Yay! 🤠

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.