PSU needed for Custom Loop build in a Corsair 1000D?

Yodi2007

Hello everyone! I am building a new PC but decided to try my hand in a custom loop. I originally was going to use an AIO and have everything to build the PC, but decided to change it up to a custom loop. I will be sending some parts back, like the AIO and maybe the Lian Li fans. The Corsair 1000D will have 2 480 RADS and one 360 RAD to cool the CPU and GPU in one loop. I have a Corsair 850w Gold certified and was wondering if this PSU would be enough to run a 5950x, ASRock 6900xt, 32gb or RAM @ 3600, a pump, 2 M.2 NVMEs, 2TB HDD @ 7200, 13 Lian Li SL 140mm fans, 11 other fans hidden on top of the RADS, miscellaneous items like LED strips, digital flow meter/temp and a small PI screen for gifs? 

2 minutes ago, Yodi2007 said:

Hello everyone! I am building a new PC but decided to try my hand in a custom loop. I originally was going to use an AIO and have everything to build the PC, but decided to change it up to a custom loop. I will be sending some parts back, like the AIO and maybe the Lian Li fans. The Corsair 1000D will have 2 480 RADS and one 360 RAD to cool the CPU and GPU in one loop. I have a Corsair 850w Gold certified and was wondering if this PSU would be enough to run a 5950x, ASRock 6900xt, 32gb or RAM @ 3600, a pump, 2 M.2 NVMEs, 2TB HDD @ 7200, 13 Lian Li SL 140mm fans, 11 other fans hidden on top of the RADS, miscellaneous items like LED strips, digital flow meter/temp and a small PI screen for gifs? 

It'll probably be fine. It'll be a little more on the edge than I'd personally like, but odds are you'd never see any issues with the PSU.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

It'll probably be fine. It'll be a little more on the edge than I'd personally like, but odds are you'd never see any issues with the PSU.

I used the calculator to get 537 watt usage on everything else except the pump and 25 fans. With everything I estimate about another 100 watts. 20 for the pump, 60 for the fans since they use about 2 watts per fan, and another 20 wats for margin of error. That will put me about 640ish watts. 210 more watts to play with. 

23 minutes ago, Yodi2007 said:

I used the calculator to get 537 watt usage on everything else except the pump and 25 fans. With everything I estimate about another 100 watts. 20 for the pump, 60 for the fans since they use about 2 watts per fan, and another 20 wats for margin of error. That will put me about 640ish watts. 210 more watts to play with. 

I'm mainly thinking of the power spikes for the card. 850w is the recommended psu for a 6900xt reference, and this being a bigger in every way card makes me think it will probably draw more power and push against that 850w limit a bit more. If you didn't already have the psu, I'd say get a 1000w, but since you already have it, it's probably fine, but definitely approaching the limit. 

I'm mainly thinking of the power spikes for the card. 850w is the recommended psu for a 6900xt reference, and this being a bigger in every way card makes me think it will probably draw more power and push against that 850w limit a bit more. If you didn't already have the psu, I'd say get a 1000w, but since you already have it, it's probably fine, but definitely approaching the limit. 

I've decided to just send it back an get a 1200 watt PSU instead. Didn't know about power spikes like that. I don't need a system frying or constantly shutting down on me. 

Just now, Yodi2007 said:

I've decided to just send it back an get a 1200 watt PSU instead. Didn't know about power spikes like that. I don't need a system frying or constantly shutting down on me. 

You won't have it fry on you, barring a spectacular component failure, but shut downs are possible. I wouldn't say they are likely for your scenario, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw one either. If you're within the return window, it makes sense just to be on the safe side. As for power spikes, the 30 series is worse, but both red and green teams cards have issues with power spikes tripping OCP, which is why everyone is recommending such high end psus this generation

You won't have it fry on you, barring a spectacular component failure, but shut downs are possible. I wouldn't say they are likely for your scenario, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw one either. If you're within the return window, it makes sense just to be on the safe side. As for power spikes, the 30 series is worse, but both red and green teams cards have issues with power spikes tripping OCP, which is why everyone is recommending such high end psus this generation

I see now. I'm coming from a 1700x and a 1080 using an AIO. My new Build with the Alienware 38 monitor is at 6k usd. Another 1.2k is about to be spent on the watercooling alone.