Is it my eyes or the screen?

flamer7

Hey there guys I'm using a Macbook Pro, the 15 inch one. While I'm using the laptop for browsing or word documents, when I look at the screen after a while, the screen seems to be dimmer. I then set the brightness higher, but after a few minutes it seems to be dimmer. I'm wondering, is there something wrong with my eyes? Some adjustment problems or whatnot? I don't wear specs btw!

Does the brightness setting go down as well because then it something with your computer?

Your eye also adjust to the brightness so that might be it in your case.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

The brightness could go down due to power saving if it's running on battery.

...or your eyes could be just adapting to brighter light and making it look dimmer.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

maybe you have some power saving mode turned on?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Is there Auto-Brightness on mac? I'm not sure but there sure is on iPad or iPhone. So maybe mac has it?

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Does the brightness setting go down as well because then it something with your computer?

Your eye also adjust to the brightness so that might be it in your case.

The brightness could go down due to power saving if it's running on battery.

...or your eyes could be just adapting to brighter light and making it look dimmer.

maybe you have some power saving mode turned on?

Is there Auto-Brightness on mac? I'm not sure but there sure is on iPad or iPhone. So maybe mac has it?

Nope no auto adjusting. Constantly on charger. I think it's more because my eyes are adjusting/adjusted to the screen brightness.. But a brighter brightness always seems to go dimmer. Something with my eyes!?

Nope no auto adjusting. Constantly on charger. I think it's more because my eyes are adjusting/adjusted to the screen brightness.. But a brighter brightness always seems to go dimmer. Something with my eyes!?

Does the brightness get lower slowly and constantly, or just suddenly?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Does the brightness get lower slowly and constantly, or just suddenly?

Like very slowly, after 10+ minutes. The brightness bars don't go down, I think it's something to do with my eyes

Like very slowly, after 10+ minutes. The brightness bars don't go down, I think it's something to do with my eyes

Does the area surrounding you appear darker to you when it happens? If yes, then it's most likely just your eyes.

If not, then... It could still be just your eyes adjusting, but more likely something to do with the monitor's brightness.

Does the area surrounding you appear darker to you when it happens? If yes, then it's most likely just your eyes.

If not, then... It could still be just your eyes adjusting, but more likely something to do with the monitor's brightness.

Yeah the surrounding appears abit dimmer.. What's wrong with my eyes!??!?!?!!!!!!

Yeah the surrounding appears abit dimmer.. What's wrong with my eyes!??!?!?!!!!!!

Nothing wrong. Your eyes are just adjusting.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

There's nothing wrong with it. It should be natural for eyes to adjust to different levels of brightness, not only in front of a monitor, but everywhere.

Nothing wrong. Your eyes are just adjusting.

There's nothing wrong with it. It should be natural for eyes to adjust to different levels of brightness, not only in front of a monitor, but everywhere.

Ohh ok. Thanks guys!!

This really sounds like power savings feature. I know, you said that there isn't any since its on charger. But that doesn't really effect it. If you have setting that is dim screen after x mins without activity, then that is what you get. I have similiar thing on Ubuntu which I could choose to not use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ohh ok. Thanks guys!!

No problemo

My windows laptop has this. It dims a little after 10-15 minutes. Exact same here, might also be my eyes, but maybe it's the screen. I dont have this with my main setup though. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2