Laptop for learning networking/cyber security?

Go to solution Solved by Hackentosher,

I mean probably anything with an internet connection, but for school specifically I love my XPS 15. Thing is built like a tank, good screen, great processor, upgradability, and good battery life (when the cells are new of course). Yeah they're expensive, but I got 15 in my freshman year of college and, with the exception of the battery, it looks and feels just like the day I bought it. Honorable mentions go to Thinkpads, similarly well built with good screens and keyboards. I recognize these are both very expensive options but lordy are they worth it.

Hi guys,

On the hunt for a new laptop to use for studying and doing labs (Networking / CS).

Any recommendations would be great and reasons why if possible?

Thanks in advance!

I mean probably anything with an internet connection, but for school specifically I love my XPS 15. Thing is built like a tank, good screen, great processor, upgradability, and good battery life (when the cells are new of course). Yeah they're expensive, but I got 15 in my freshman year of college and, with the exception of the battery, it looks and feels just like the day I bought it. Honorable mentions go to Thinkpads, similarly well built with good screens and keyboards. I recognize these are both very expensive options but lordy are they worth it.

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

I was already looking at an XPS 15 as one of my top 3. Thanks heaps for your input, I think I just needed one more push.

18 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

Since you are going to learn networking and data security, you'll probably gonna use some BSD stuff in the future, so my recommendation will be to buy a laptop that has no network card driver compatibility issues. Check out this chart for that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers

...ThinkPad T Series, maybe?

Thanks for the input! If/when I get to that I was thinking of using an older machine.

8 hours ago, Hilfen088 said:

I was already looking at an XPS 15 as one of my top 3. Thanks heaps for your input, I think I just needed one more push.

I have an XPS 17 9700 kitted out with an i9-10885H, 32 GB of memory, RTX 2060 Max-Q, and 1 TB SSD, and I've been loving it so far. 

If you're still considering an XPS device, I think they're a great blend of powerful CPU and memory performance in a very professional looking package, i.e. it's very MacBook-esque in aesthetic. They're GPU's are pretty good, too, considering it's in a thin package, though they can get pretty costly. As I said, my XPS 17 is pretty kitted out, and before discounts it should come to around $3,000, and I still had to pay around $2,400 for mine. Though then again, Dell will frequently have sales going on to better justify the price of their products. 

Here's a link to a new XPS 15, which can be selected in a black or white interior (I reeeaaaally wish Dell had a white option for the XPS 17. IMO it looks so much better than the black) https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-9510-laptop/xn9510evbcs

Not sure if this would be a problem for you, but the XPS laptops only have Thunderbolt/ USB-C, headphone, and SD card slot ports. Idk if you personally need HDMI, display, USB-A, or anything else, but the XPS is somewhat lacking, though all XPS devices should include a dongle for USB-A and HDMI.

All in all, I highly recommend the XPS 15 and 17.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:10 PM, mt123 said:

I have an XPS 17 9700 kitted out with an i9-10885H, 32 GB of memory, RTX 2060 Max-Q, and 1 TB SSD, and I've been loving it so far. 

If you're still considering an XPS device, I think they're a great blend of powerful CPU and memory performance in a very professional looking package, i.e. it's very MacBook-esque in aesthetic. They're GPU's are pretty good, too, considering it's in a thin package, though they can get pretty costly. As I said, my XPS 17 is pretty kitted out, and before discounts it should come to around $3,000, and I still had to pay around $2,400 for mine. Though then again, Dell will frequently have sales going on to better justify the price of their products. 

Here's a link to a new XPS 15, which can be selected in a black or white interior (I reeeaaaally wish Dell had a white option for the XPS 17. IMO it looks so much better than the black) https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-9510-laptop/xn9510evbcs

Not sure if this would be a problem for you, but the XPS laptops only have Thunderbolt/ USB-C, headphone, and SD card slot ports. Idk if you personally need HDMI, display, USB-A, or anything else, but the XPS is somewhat lacking, though all XPS devices should include a dongle for USB-A and HDMI.

All in all, I highly recommend the XPS 15 and 17.

Yeah thanks, I have gone with the xps15. Just waiting for it to show up!

6 hours ago, Hilfen088 said:

Yeah thanks, I have gone with the xps15. Just waiting for it to show up!

Congrats! Did you get last year's 9500 or this year's 9510? And what specs did you go with?