Monitor wont display unless there is a change in refresh rate

Y0SHI0N

I was looking for an external monitor and got a Prism+ 27XQ pro. The monitor arrived quite quickly without any defects on the good ( as far as I can tell). I usually plug it into the gaming laptop that I have and do some gaming on it. since the monitor is native 2k 144hz, I thought I would make use of that since they were connected through HDMI 2.0. it worked brilliantly on the first day. However, I quickly realized the next day that every time my laptop shutdown/restart/wake up from sleep (regardless if it is connected to the monitor or not),  it won't display anything. Windows recognizes it, and the extended setting detects that there is a second monitor (I can still move the mouse between the two despite the black screen on the external monitor). I looked up some troubleshooting and nothing works until I start changing the refresh rate. I guess my questions are :

1) does anyone has this problem? doesn't need to be the same monitor or brand, just this problem in general?

2) Why are they happening and any temp or permanent fixes so I don't have to change the refresh rate every time?

3) a bit unrelated but I'm also experiencing what I think is ghosting or/and overshoot, is there a way to fix that in general, or is it just depends on the monitor?

FYI, my laptop is Acer nitro 5 an515-55 (i7-10750H, 16GB ram , gtx 1650ti). Thank you so much for all the replies, and sorry about a relatively long post.

1 hour ago, Y0SHI0N said:

I was looking for an external monitor and got a Prism+ 27XQ pro. The monitor arrived quite quickly without any defects on the good ( as far as I can tell). I usually plug it into the gaming laptop that I have and do some gaming on it. since the monitor is native 2k 144hz, I thought I would make use of that since they were connected through HDMI 2.0. it worked brilliantly on the first day. However, I quickly realized the next day that every time my laptop shutdown/restart/wake up from sleep (regardless if it is connected to the monitor or not),  it won't display anything. Windows recognizes it, and the extended setting detects that there is a second monitor (I can still move the mouse between the two despite the black screen on the external monitor). I looked up some troubleshooting and nothing works until I start changing the refresh rate. I guess my questions are :

1) does anyone has this problem? doesn't need to be the same monitor or brand, just this problem in general?

2) Why are they happening and any temp or permanent fixes so I don't have to change the refresh rate every time?

3) a bit unrelated but I'm also experiencing what I think is ghosting or/and overshoot, is there a way to fix that in general, or is it just depends on the monitor?

FYI, my laptop is Acer nitro 5 an515-55 (i7-10750H, 16GB ram , gtx 1650ti). Thank you so much for all the replies, and sorry about a relatively long post.

when u change the refresh rate, windows re-initializes the display, it would be the same if u unplugged and plugged the monitor back in

10 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

when u change the refresh rate, windows re-initializes the display, it would be the same if u unplugged and plugged the monitor back in

ya, i tried to unplug and re-plug on both ends, restart/shudown and turn on again while dis/connected to the monitor and none of it work unless i change the refresh rate. My Nvidia driver are up to date, my intel graphic driver's not. But I don't think that's the problem since acer's website doesn't have new update regarding that department. Any clue how I can make it so that I don't have to manually change the refresh rate every time I plug it in? Also thank you so much for the reply!

10 hours ago, Y0SHI0N said:

ya, i tried to unplug and re-plug on both ends, restart/shudown and turn on again while dis/connected to the monitor and none of it work unless i change the refresh rate. My Nvidia driver are up to date, my intel graphic driver's not. But I don't think that's the problem since acer's website doesn't have new update regarding that department. Any clue how I can make it so that I don't have to manually change the refresh rate every time I plug it in? Also thank you so much for the reply!

Just because acer doesnt have a new intel driver doesnt mean that there isnt a new driver. If you have an intel chip you have to check intels site for a new driver, not acer

6 hours ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Just because acer doesnt have a new intel driver doesnt mean that there isnt a new driver. If you have an intel chip you have to check intels site for a new driver, not acer

ok, I'll try that, thanks. Just one question though, would that overwrite the OEM tuning for the laptop?

2 hours ago, Y0SHI0N said:

ok, I'll try that, thanks. Just one question though, would that overwrite the OEM tuning for the laptop?

no? tuning is on the hardware itself, and oem usually tunes it worse. If i have an intel chip i would want intels tuning, not another companies tuning.