New build doesn't turn off

throwaway19
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
1 minute ago, throwaway19 said:

My first problem is that I have just booted up my first pc and it has a cpu light on my gigabyte b550 aorus pro ac.

What is the problem exactly? What do you mean by "CPU light" and why is it a problem that your motherboard has one?

2 minutes ago, throwaway19 said:

my phanteks p400a power button did great starting up my system however if I either press or hold it my pc does not turn off.

Sounds like the power button has come loose. Try attaching the cables to the motherboard front panel header again, or at the very least make sure they are connected correctly. It should be a description for how to place them in the motherboard manual. It's on page 20.

image.png.fb2524059f9433c85b5da1c1eadbd8cd.png

If you want to turn the PC off, just unplug the power or shut off the PSU. It won't harm your components. It's a bad idea to shut off the PC like that normally, but that's only for data loss purposes. It's not a problem in this case because the OS isn't even started yet, so there is no data loss that could occur.

Hello, I just finished building my first pc and its going pretty terribly. My first problem is that I have just booted up my first pc and it has a cpu light on my gigabyte b550 aorus pro ac. Before that however, my phanteks p400a power button did great starting up my system however if I either press or hold it my pc does not turn off. What is the safest route for me to go? shut off the psu? I have no idea

You may flip the switch on the back of the power supply to cut power to the system reasonably safely. Then you can go in and make sure that the power connector didn't detach from the motherboard and isn't wired incorrectly.

1 minute ago, throwaway19 said:

My first problem is that I have just booted up my first pc and it has a cpu light on my gigabyte b550 aorus pro ac.

What is the problem exactly? What do you mean by "CPU light" and why is it a problem that your motherboard has one?

2 minutes ago, throwaway19 said:

my phanteks p400a power button did great starting up my system however if I either press or hold it my pc does not turn off.

Sounds like the power button has come loose. Try attaching the cables to the motherboard front panel header again, or at the very least make sure they are connected correctly. It should be a description for how to place them in the motherboard manual. It's on page 20.

If you want to turn the PC off, just unplug the power or shut off the PSU. It won't harm your components. It's a bad idea to shut off the PC like that normally, but that's only for data loss purposes. It's not a problem in this case because the OS isn't even started yet, so there is no data loss that could occur.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What is the problem exactly? What do you mean by "CPU light" and why is it a problem that your motherboard has one?...

I am sure they mean the motherboard is indicating an error with the CPU. The OP can reseat the CPU and also inspect for missing or bent pins. Don't worry about reapplying new thermal paste for now until everything works. Also, I should mention that the 500 series chipsets do not support Zen 1 CPUs.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Firstly, what I meant to say was that when I booted up my pc I could not get into bios and on my mobo the cpu "error?" light was red. I did follow the manual and used the "g connector" which came with the mobo. I checked the connections and it seems fine. 

2 minutes ago, Sesame said:

I am sure they mean the motherboard is indicating an error with the CPU. The OP can reseat the CPU and also inspect for missing or bent pins. Don't worry about reapplying new thermal paste for now until everything works. Also, I should mention that the 500 series chipsets do not support Zen 1 CPUs.

yes that is correct, I am running a 5600x which I did the bios update for. I believe I also did it right as people have mentioned that the mobo should flash for 7 minutes before shutting off which mine did.