Is Intel stock cooler enough to unlock power limits on 10400F

Blype
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

It really depends on what you're planning on doing with the computer. Are you just gaming and watching videos? Then you'll be fine, because that won't max out all the cores. Are you going to be doing rendering on the CPU? Then you'll have a problem.

My current computer came with a Thermaltake UX100, which is kind of like the Intel stock cooler (at the very least, they're both smaller down-draft coolers rated for 65W TDP) and it was able to keep the 9600K (a 6c/6t 95W part) at a reasonable temperature during normal workloads, but when I tried to do Folding@Home on the CPU, that cooling solution folded hard. If I used more than 2 cores in that workload, it would immediately go up to 90C and start throttling.

If you're tight on your budget, you can give the stock cooler a shot and, if it isn't enough, you can upgrade it later. You won't need much for that part. I upgraded to a Vetroo V5 (sort of like a Hyper 212) for $30 and now I stay in the 70C range even when running a 4.8GHz overclock.

Will the Intel stock cooler be enough to handle removing power limits on the 10400F? I have a 4000D, with the mesh front panel and an extra fan coming in the mail. There will be two intake fans in the front, and one exhaust fan in the back.

Is this question impossible to answer without testing it out myself, or will I definitely need another cooler?

PCPartPicker Part List:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3PDLP

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($140.00)

Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($112.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: *Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card 

Case: Corsair 4000D ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $40.00) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $50.00) 

Total: $528.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-16 14:48 EDT-0400

14 minutes ago, OK01 said:

Will the Intel stock cooler be enough to handle removing power limits on the 10400F? I have a 4000D, with the mesh front panel and an extra fan coming in the mail. There will be two intake fans in the front, and one exhaust fan in the back.

Is this question impossible to answer without testing it out myself, or will I definitely need another cooler?

PCPartPicker Part List:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r3PDLP

Reveal hidden contents

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($140.00)

Motherboard: ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($112.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: *Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card 

Case: Corsair 4000D ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $40.00) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $50.00) 

Total: $528.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-16 14:48 EDT-0400

It is technically impossible to answer without testing for yourself, but odds are you would need to buy a better to do it. Get something like a Hyper 212 and you'll be good to go. 

I am not optimistic. The included heatsink is a very thin chunk of aluminum, and the 10400F is already pushing 65w. You can however simply use the included heatsink until you can afford an aftermarket heatsink. According to one source, the 10400F can top out at 134w. Through personal testing, an ancient Hyper 212 Evo can cool up to 155w continuously before thermally throttling, so any cheap aftermarket 120mm tower cooler should suffice.

Disclaimer: I have never tested an Intel cooler. I don't know what the cooling capacity of it is, but it should be at least 65w, but less than 95w.

It really depends on what you're planning on doing with the computer. Are you just gaming and watching videos? Then you'll be fine, because that won't max out all the cores. Are you going to be doing rendering on the CPU? Then you'll have a problem.

My current computer came with a Thermaltake UX100, which is kind of like the Intel stock cooler (at the very least, they're both smaller down-draft coolers rated for 65W TDP) and it was able to keep the 9600K (a 6c/6t 95W part) at a reasonable temperature during normal workloads, but when I tried to do Folding@Home on the CPU, that cooling solution folded hard. If I used more than 2 cores in that workload, it would immediately go up to 90C and start throttling.

If you're tight on your budget, you can give the stock cooler a shot and, if it isn't enough, you can upgrade it later. You won't need much for that part. I upgraded to a Vetroo V5 (sort of like a Hyper 212) for $30 and now I stay in the 70C range even when running a 4.8GHz overclock.

Thank you everyone for the input! Since gaming will be the most demanding task I do with my system, I think I'll be fine with the stock cooler. I'll probably get a decent cooler eventually when I need it.