AT&T Fiber bgw320 gateway with multiple Xboxes

Leumas80

I finally got 1gb fiber today after years of waiting for it in my area!! The tech assured me that the BGW320 was high end and would handle the device connectivity I needed in regards to the bathroom type (using his boys both playing Xbox as an example) however after connecting everything I am getting a moderate Nat type. Previous on uverse 100 I had to turn the gateway a passthrough to use a nighthawk to get my desired results. I was hoping to not so that this time, but is that the only option? I can't seem to find the needed settings on the gateway to make this happen for multiple devices...and tbh I think the range is a bit lackluster. Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, Leumas80 said:

I finally got 1gb fiber today after years of waiting for it in my area!! The tech assured me that the BGW320 was high end and would handle the device connectivity I needed in regards to the bathroom type (using his boys both playing Xbox as an example) however after connecting everything I am getting a moderate Nat type. Previous on uverse 100 I had to turn the gateway a passthrough to use a nighthawk to get my desired results. I was hoping to not so that this time, but is that the only option? I can't seem to find the needed settings on the gateway to make this happen for multiple devices...and tbh I think the range is a bit lackluster. Thank you for your help!

Yeah the AT&T box is shit. Ive never head anything good about it. ISP provide equipment in general is shit. Thats why I dont use equipment provided by my ISP. Unfortunately for you, you have Fiber and have to use their box. So Id look in to IP pass thru mode. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Going that route shouldn't reduce my overall bandwidth correct? Idk if I'm wording that correctly 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

1 minute ago, Leumas80 said:

Going that route shouldn't reduce my overall bandwidth correct? Idk if I'm wording that correctly 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣

No. While Pass Thru mode is not as good as bridge mode it should just simply pass the traffic thru to the router. Either way, you have no choice, as the AT&T box isn't going to magically get better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

That's the truth!! And sadly I have already checked to see if it has the capability to be put in bridge mode uhg! Thanks again 😁

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No. While Pass Thru mode is not as good as bridge mode it should just simply pass the traffic thru to the router. Either way, you have no choice, as the AT&T box isn't going to magically get better. 

What's the difference between IP pass through mode and bridge mode?  Is it just a fancy name for DMZ or something inbetween?  Because why bother having a feature that works out inferior to bridge mode if its trying to achieve the same thing?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What's the difference between IP pass through mode and bridge mode?  Is it just a fancy name for DMZ or something inbetween?  Because why bother having a feature that works out inferior to bridge mode if its trying to achieve the same thing?

Pass Through mode is like a L1.5 DMZ/Bridge where the box holds the external IP but doesn't do any NAT and passes that public IP to the router behind it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

Pass Through mode is like a L1.5 DMZ/Bridge where the box holds the external IP but doesn't do any NAT and passes that public IP to the router behind it.

Ah so its basically what some others call DHCP spoofing.  It tends to be used where they want the PPP session to be initiated from their equipment but to pass the WAN IP onto your own.  Presumably here its to avoid needing to tell the customer the PPPoE login credentials for their own router which you would need with a proper bridge, assuming they ARE using PPPoE of course.

I see it is discussed on https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/business/help/pdf/att-bridged-mode-vs-ip-passthrough-nov2012-v3.pdf although their excuse for not using bridge mode is hilarious.  Seems like ATT never heard of TR-069.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7