Dusty PSU How to clean?

Dankcube
Go to solution Solved by TylerD321,

You could try using 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the psu as a last ditch effort. I would personally try to get a new filter for your case or a new case if you cant find one. If you can't clean it you may as well just get a new PSU as well if you can afford it.

So I've had this PSU for about 2 years and I've lost the dust filter on the bottom of my case that would normally stop the dust inside the PSU, and when it's getting pretty nasty but I am very nervous about cleaning it. even though I will not be opening the PSU itself  The PSU is a EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD fully modular, is it possible for me to damage the PSU by dusting it off with compressed air? or any of the other parts when I plug it back in? For whatever reason I have this very irrational fear.

Also what happens if I don't clean my psu? I have a 5 year warranty on this. The blades themself dont seem that dirty, just the grill. I have attatched a photo of the dust collected so far https://imgur.com/a/uir12AQ 20210711_151204.jpg

if it's just dust then use canned air. If it's gunk from cigarettes then pretty much just throw it away and buy a new one as that gunk won't come off without cleaning the components directly.

Just now, emosun said:

if it's just dust then use canned air. If it's gunk from cigarettes then pretty much just throw it away and buy a new one as that gunk won't come off without cleaning the components directly.

Does weed smoke count? I take bong rips all the time around it. Also, why would I throw it away if its working fine? I do not have disposable income like that...

Just now, Dankcube said:

Does weed smoke count? I take bong rips all the time around it. Also, why would I throw it away if its working fine? I do not have disposable income like that...

Smoke from various forms of smoking is sticky as shit, and creates a layer of crap on electronics that requires scrubbing to get off.

If you're that concerned with cleaning it?  Throw it out and quit smoking.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Smoke from various forms of smoking is sticky as shit, and creates a layer of crap on electronics that requires scrubbing to get off.

If you're that concerned with cleaning it?  Throw it out and quit smoking.

wtf lmao, do not tell me what to do who are you my daddy? I am required to smoke for medical reasons.

You could try using 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the psu as a last ditch effort. I would personally try to get a new filter for your case or a new case if you cant find one. If you can't clean it you may as well just get a new PSU as well if you can afford it.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 minute ago, Dankcube said:

wtf lmao, do not tell me what to do who are you? I am required to smoke for medical reasons.

I've had to clean several smoke residue damaged machines before and while it's possible to clean other components with qtips and alcohol and spend a few days scrubbing.... the power supply can;t be opened due to risk of high voltage discharges.

You can't clean in inside of a power supply safely so it's best to discard it and replace it with an undamaged unit rather than risk killing yourself cleaning it.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

I've had to clean several smoke residue damaged machines before and while it's possible to clean other components with qtips and alcohol and spend a few days scrubbing.... the power supply can;t be opened due to risk of high voltage discharges.

You can't clean in inside of a power supply safely so it's best to discard it and replace it with an undamaged unit rather than risk killing yourself cleaning it.

BUT ITS NOT DAMAGED?! LOL IM SO CONFUSED AT THE RESPONSE IM GETTING REPLACE IT? WHAT FOR ITS WORKING? ITS JUST DUSTY LMAOO, ALSO I ALREADY STATED I WILL NOT BE OPENING IT BRO...??????

ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DAMAGE IT BY SPRAYING IT WITH COMPRESSED AIR

Just now, Dankcube said:

BUT ITS NOT DAMAGED?! LOL IM SO CONFUSED AT THE RESPONSE IM GETTING REPLACE IT? WHAT FOR ITS WORKING? ITS JUST DUSTY LMAOO

well the unit would be considered to have smoke damage which is a sticky substance that coats the electronics and surface components. Without removing it the unit will be prone to overheating or fire as the sticky substance will permanently fuse dust and debris to the inside of the unit. And or attract debris that can bridge contacts and short out traces.

Nobody here is making you replace or clean the unit but smoke damage is a problem that we recommend not ignoring. 

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

well the unit would be considered to have smoke damage which is a sticky substance that coats the electronics and surface components. Without removing it the unit will be prone to overheating or fire as the sticky substance will permanently fuse dust and debris to the inside of the unit. And or attract debris that can bridge contacts and short out traces.

Nobody here is making you replace or clean the unit but smoke damage is a problem that we recommend not ignoring. 

it will just get dirty again if i buy a new one because i will smoke around my computer no matter what. this is a nonsensical solution. thankyou for trying i guess... still nobody has answered my original question

IS IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DAMAGE IT BY SPRAYING IT WITH COMPRESSED AIR

9 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DAMAGE IT BY SPRAYING IT WITH COMPRESSED AIR

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

if it's just dust then use canned air.

A compressed air can't damage the PSU, you can even lay the PSU fan down on the table and give it a few good whacks so the dust would unclog from it's heatsinks and other stuff properly. Just immobilize the fan before you dust the PSU, sticking a pencil or smth in the fan grille will do.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply