Save PS5 from dust... how?

To keep dust out of PS5  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Regardless of what you choose, please elaborate...

• cover it, with smtg else
    • change location
    • Other

Hi, it's been about 3 months since I started using my PS5. My house is quite dusty, because of the architecture, there's fall ceilings and stuff, and they're just major dust catchers. I recently cleaned it out(just the plates and fins, not the actual insides. I'm not a tinkerer and would prefer to not break anything). I cover my whole console setup,i.e. console, controller, USB drive and cables with a soft cloth. But dust still keeps getting in. Are there any ways you would suggest to keep dust out or to change the location? Please help me out.

You shouldn't cover your console with cloth. That's a great way to cook your electronics. If your house is just that dusty you might just need to clean the PS5 out every so often. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

28 minutes ago, Killercrafto3 said:

I cover my whole console setup,i.e. console, controller, USB drive and cables with a soft cloth

while in use? dont

just clean it occasionally and u should be fine

any sort of filter would add hindrance on the airflow, which may cause it to overheat, knowing the design overhead for these products

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Guys I don't cover it during use, I cover when not in use. Please tell me if you have something else other than cleaning it regularly, I am a child and the plates are quite hard for me to pull. If you could also give some suggestions for the controller, I know there already exists a post for this, but I didn't find any of those helpful. Thanks 🙂

It's fine to cover it after you're done playing, but wait around 5-10 minutes after you turn it off, so that the components inside can cool down. Don't forget to remove the cover when you start using it. 

The console still runs and consumes a bit of power even when it's turned off, but it's not producing that much heat when off to be affected by being covered by some cloth. 

You could buy an air purifier ... there's tons of them on amazon and other stores. random examples :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TGN2WL6/

https://www.amazon.com/DIKI-Purifier-Filter-Remove-Particles/dp/B087671QL3/

There's also devices that generate ozone, negative ions and that causes dust to "clump" together and not stay in the air, making it easier to remove... but it's not quite as healthy to leave such devices running all the time, and you'd have to ventilate the room periodically. Random example, didn't test it, don't know if it's good : https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Generator-Eliminator-Functions-Apartment/dp/B091HNZ8SQ/

So a proper air purifier with a HEPA filter (replaceable, standard size, would be ideal) would probably be a better deal for you.

May also want to look into humidity control ... at the very basic level, get a bottle with a manual spray nozzle and spray some mist of water from time to time in your room .. too dry air can cause dust to be more "annoying" 

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Sprayer-Continuous-Styling-Cleaning-Misting/dp/B082R6GNW9/

But you could get some bottle from a commercial product like dish washing / window cleaning or a perfume, wash it thoroughly and reuse it.

You should setup your PS5 horizontally so the dust settles on the side panels and not inside the exhaust. Also air spray it once in a while to prevent the dust from sticking to it.