Home network solution suggestions

Hi everyone, because of some ISP fuckery i have a very horrendous internet line (7 down 0.4 up) and no way to actually get anything better, now for my new job i find myself having to upload files on server quite often and with my upload speed even 15MB file can take a long time so i need a solution.
My current setup is the standard ISP modem downstairs in my office that connects to the phone line, my PC is directly connected here and then i use a weighted switch to split the bandwidth and send it upstairs thru the electric line where i have another modem that i use as wireless AP for my family to use.

I thought about getting a 4G modem and a phone SIM (data is very cheap here so i can get 120GB for 9 euros), but phone reception is terrible downstairs in my office so i can only place it upstairs and then send it downstairs thru the electric line but then i'd need some form of AP since my ISP modem doesn't support dual WAN, i need to maintain my wired internet line because i doubt i can play online games at a decent ping with 4G connection.
I'm sorry if this is very confusing, just wondering if anyone has a better solution for my problem, mine sounds pretty sloppy, every bit of help is greatly appreciated

12 minutes ago, Erundil said:

Hi everyone, because of some ISP fuckery i have a very horrendous internet line (7 down 0.4 up) and no way to actually get anything better, now for my new job i find myself having to upload files on server quite often and with my upload speed even 15MB file can take a long time so i need a solution.
My current setup is the standard ISP modem downstairs in my office that connects to the phone line, my PC is directly connected here and then i use a weighted switch to split the bandwidth and send it upstairs thru the electric line where i have another modem that i use as wireless AP for my family to use.

I thought about getting a 4G modem and a phone SIM (data is very cheap here so i can get 120GB for 9 euros), but phone reception is terrible downstairs in my office so i can only place it upstairs and then send it downstairs thru the electric line but then i'd need some form of AP since my ISP modem doesn't support dual WAN, i need to maintain my wired internet line because i doubt i can play online games at a decent ping with 4G connection.
I'm sorry if this is very confusing, just wondering if anyone has a better solution for my problem, mine sounds pretty sloppy, every bit of help is greatly appreciated

So I hear the SpaceX Starlink system is pretty solid and can provide pretty good speeds as well. May be something to consider.

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

4 minutes ago, VectorTech said:

So I hear the SpaceX Starlink system is pretty solid and can provide pretty good speeds as well. May be something to consider.

I thought about it, but they don't cover my area yet and i need a solution in the immediate future

Just now, Erundil said:

I thought about it, but they don't cover my area yet and i need a solution in the immediate future

If that's the case then a 4G modem may be the way to go. I assume there are no other ISP's in your area that offer an affordable / decent speed?

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

Just now, VectorTech said:

If that's the case then a 4G modem may be the way to go. I assume there are no other ISP's in your area that offer an affordable / decent speed?

The problem i have with my ISP is that my internet line is hard wired directly to the hub which is 2km away instead of the cabinet which is placed at 200m from here, it's an old practice of ISPs and it can't be fixed without expensive road excavations to physically lay down new wires, my whole neighborhood has this problem, houses on the other side of the road all have FTTE 150mbps but we're just cursed and the only solution is to move somewhere else pretty much

1 minute ago, Erundil said:

The problem i have with my ISP is that my internet line is hard wired directly to the hub which is 2km away instead of the cabinet which is placed at 200m from here, it's an old practice of ISPs and it can't be fixed without expensive road excavations to physically lay down new wires, my whole neighborhood has this problem, houses on the other side of the road all have FTTE 150mbps but we're just cursed and the only solution is to move somewhere else pretty much

Hmm, just curious, do you think you have an LOS to the location 2km away?

Just now, VectorTech said:

Hmm, just curious, do you think you have an LOS to the location 2km away?

Yeah, isp technicians pretty much all told me that i could activate the FTTC package but i'd get pretty much the same speeds i get now, maybe 1/2mbps more if i'm lucky

1 minute ago, Erundil said:

Yeah, isp technicians pretty much all told me that i could activate the FTTC package but i'd get pretty much the same speeds i get now, maybe 1/2mbps more if i'm lucky

So if your options are that limited but your neighbors have much better internet I see a potential option being paying one of your neighbors for a fraction of their internet. If they could set up a DMZ to protect their network and you have some sort of line of sight to them then you could get two of these and have them act as a bit of a WISP. The model I linked has a max line speed of 10MB/s so it's still much faster than what you have currently, and the more expensive model supports gig line speeds.

3 hours ago, Erundil said:

ISP modem doesn't support dual WAN,

eh. Ok so if your "Modem" is supplying routing capabilities and WiFi its not a modem. Its a Gateway. Terminology matters because it helps us help you. A standard modem should take the ISP cabling (Phone or Coax) and basically convert it to Ethernet. It will not offers any NAT, Firewall or WiFi. From the modem you would just connect a router. 

What it sounds like is you have a aDSL gateway supplied by the ISP. For one you might be able to use bridge mode to make this box in to a standard modem. Then you can buy or build  a router that support Dual WAN.  I have the Synlology RT 2600AC it it has dual wan. The downside is you loose an LAN port to use the feature. 

3 hours ago, Erundil said:

but phone reception is terrible downstairs in my office so i can only place it upstairs and then send it downstairs thru the electric line but then i'd need some form of AP

Some 4G modems allow external antennas, which means you could put an antenna outside and bring the signal in that way. 

Another option is to see if there are any WISP's in the area. DSL is crap in most cases. AT&T only supplies my city with 18 Mbps. Comcast supplies us with up to 1.2 Gbps on Coax and potentially 2Gbps on Fiber if you have large enough sums of cash. In many cases people find that 4G/5G is both faster and more reliable then DSL service. So much so AT&T started killing off aDSL on their network in select places. Because DSL has no future. Do you not have a cable company in the area that offers internet? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.