How do I make my Raspberry Pi record audio?

Hi, I'm very new to these things. I have some background in programming through my university but thats about it.
Recently I was planning on creating an automated audio recording and email attatchment sending system with the use of the RPi (also no, I'm not bugging someone, i plan on attatching it onto a stethoscope lol) 

I truthfully have no idea where to begin. I've installed Rpi OS, purchased a USB sound card, but thats about it. There arent alot of resources that tell me how exactly to start programming, or even obtaining the sound signal. I dont want to ask too much, I'm just looking for a place to start because I'm truthfully threading new teritory that I haven't been in. Can anyone give me even just a general rundown or a direction for where to start learning how to complete my project? 

Also, are there any communities out there that allow me to ask for this kind of specific help regarding the Raspberry Pi? (Because I'd probably be asking alot...)

None the less, Thank you for checking out my post and for any help that may come~

Can't you just use audacity? there's probably an API for it as well.

Also for Raspberry Pi specific help, there is a pi forum https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

One thing I've learned in my projects and work is that very few things you might want to do have never been done before, and someone has probably run into the same problem that you did and asked about it somewhere. Google is your friend.

ASU

19 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Also for Raspberry Pi specific help, there is a pi forum https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

One thing I've learned in my projects and work is that very few things you might want to do have never been done before, and someone has probably run into the same problem that you did and asked about it somewhere. Google is your friend.

I see. thank you, it's like a completely new busling world im stepping into today lol I appreciate the help!

10 hours ago, _Dawnte_ said:

I see. thank you, it's like a completely new busling world im stepping into today lol I appreciate the help!

It took me a while to realize that a pi is a computer just like the one you're using to view this thread. What makes the pi special is it's so small and cheap, but it also has peripherals that a normal computer doesn't. A normal computer doesn't have the camera ports, i2c, spi, and gpio breakouts that the pi does, which makes the pi very interesting for a lot of projects that need the processing capabilities of a full computer and operating system, but with the hardware connectivity of something lower level like an Arduino. 

ASU