My new baby (Asus 780Ti Direct CU II)

Woolbeach

Hello guys ! 

So I just got my new graphics card and I am already running into some strange issues with the card. Some issues of which, I hope you will be able to solve with or for me :D

When I went to update the drivers for the first time, I instantly got black screen with flickering, which I of course thought either meant a dead card or a driver issue. I then went ahead and tried to do a driver rollback to an older version, that still supported the 780Ti, but without luck (even tried the driver that came in the CD just to make sure). As I sat and fiddled with this, I started searching on this problem online, and found that I was not the only one with this problem, I even found this problem described in the update notes from Nvidia's drivers, stating that they do know the problem, and they suggest the following workaround:

"If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now 
encounter the black screen, do the following:
1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver.
3 Disconnect from the internet and then restart the system.
4 In normal mode, install the new driver."
(Link in the buttom)

I did the above, but still ran into this problem. So I decided to install my old Windows 7 Pro on my second SSD, since this seemed to be a Windows 8 related problem (according to Nvidia themselves). This did the trick, and I am now able to use the card with the newest drivers. 

The next big issue I then ran into was that I could not use my 144 Hz screen to its full potential, as it kept blackscreening on me, when I tried to set it at 120 Hz. (Anything above 60 Hz did this actually). I have come to the conclusion that this might be a problem with my DVI cable, as it is of a cheap quality. Do you have any suggestions to what this might also be?

And lastly when I then installed GPU Tweak that came in the box, I for some reason could not get it to save my overclocked settings, and it kept going back to stock when I tried to configure it (new to this tool, so might be an easy "fix"). 

A good friend of mine then suggested that I might run into a power issue, and that my power supply can't support the power needed to support this beast of a GPU. I am currently running with an HX650 (650 Watt), and the rest of my system consists of; 

Asus Maximus Formula VI motherboard - with a 4770k CPU

2 SSD's, one 128GB and one 240GB. (Force GS and GT)

8 GB Vengeance RAM

- and of course my new graphics card.

I tried to use some of the "Power supply calculators" that you can find online, which all suggested around 550-600 Watts, and some reviews of the 780Ti suggested a power supply of around 600 Watts capacity. 

Do I need a bigger power supply? My current one had no issues earlier with my 7950 (which I know is a totally different card both in power and power usage), and I really like my current power supply :(

Sorry for the rant, but I don't exactly know what to do at the moment. I kind of wanted to stick with Windows 8, and I really want to overclock my card!

Link to Nvidia's newest driver release notes:

http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/335.23/335.23-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

true ,go 80+ gold and rest your case ;)

Up The wattage output if possible

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

true ,go 80+ gold and rest your case ;)

Up The wattage output if possible

Funny thing is, the HX650 I have claims that it is indeed a 80 plus gold, but the efficiency of the power supply shouldn't have a direct impact on the needed wattage of the system, should it? 

Funny thing is, the HX650 I have claims that it is indeed a 80 plus gold, but the efficiency of the power supply shouldn't have a direct impact on the needed wattage of the system, should it? 

WELL?not that much ,but on reliability ,and endurance ,if you want it to last long ,no question  

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

650w is fine for a 780ti TTL ran one off a 450w and that was with a ivy bridge e processor iirc.

I'd make sure that your gpu and dvi cable is connected right with a simple unplug and plug back in and see if that helps.

I'm guessing its a driver or cable issue it's not your psu unless its going faulty it should be fine.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

Check the VRM temps on the card, I have the same model and I kid you not mine can hit 100c without vsync on (60hz),

you're running at a higher refresh rate and could be causing the card to overheat.

GPU temps are normal (70c).

The GURU3D guys ran into the same problem:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_directcu_geforce_gtx_780_ti_oc_review,9.html

Thermal pads between the back of the card and the back plate should slightly fix it, but thanks to ASUS warranty void sticker on one of the screws you can't do that.

Check the VRM temps on the card, I have the same model and I kid you not mine can hit 100c without vsync on (60hz),

you're running at a higher refresh rate and could be causing the card to overheat.

GPU temps are normal (70c).

The GURU3D guys ran into the same problem:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_directcu_geforce_gtx_780_ti_oc_review,9.html

Thermal pads between the back of the card and the back plate should slightly fix it, but thanks to ASUS warranty void sticker on one of the screws you can't do that.

Where exactly can these temps be measured? My GPU runs at 60 degrees MAX, so I wouldn't think that it's caused by overheat. Also, note that these are some issues I am having at idle. Strange issue none the less, and thanks for the heads up!

Try use DDU to remove your current Nvidia driver and probably some left over driver from your 7950. Then reinstall latest driver.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Where exactly can these temps be measured? My GPU runs at 60 degrees MAX, so I wouldn't think that it's caused by overheat. Also, note that these are some issues I am having at idle. Strange issue none the less, and thanks for the heads up!

Sorry have been busy.

How did you go?

You can monitor VRM temps with GPU-Z under sensors.

The GPU on mine ran cool, VRM's were hot.

I've got emails from ASUS confirming the hot VRM fault in mine and to Return it. (Only being a week old)

I ended up with a Galaxy GTX780ti HOF edition.

Now that is an eye opener of a card.

Download the latest non-beta driver, if you have the beta that might be the issue, I love my 780 dcuii never had a problem with it, changing it to watercooling soon so I can clock it higher and little quieter operation :)

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

Sorry have been busy.

How did you go?

You can monitor VRM temps with GPU-Z under sensors.

The GPU on mine ran cool, VRM's were hot.

I've got emails from ASUS confirming the hot VRM fault in mine and to Return it. (Only being a week old)

I ended up with a Galaxy GTX780ti HOF edition.

Now that is an eye opener of a card.

Checked the VRM temps, and they are indeed hot @ around 89 degrees under load. This however, does not have any direct influence on the driver issue I was having on win8, as far as I can see - as it runs perfectly on my win7 ultimate. I am considering returning it, as these temps are worrying indeed. :( 

Download the latest non-beta driver, if you have the beta that might be the issue, I love my 780 dcuii never had a problem with it, changing it to watercooling soon so I can clock it higher and little quieter operation :)

I was running the newest non-beta drivers, and ran into this issue. There have been atleast 3 since I was last on win8, so this might have been resolved in the meantime. WC is always fun :D

Isn't that a dual bios card? If so try the other one.

Do you notice any artifacts or strangeness outside of Windows ie. UEFI, post-boot?

- snip -

- snip -

I had a similar issue with my first 670.  Then I saw there was an official firmware update for the card recommended by EVGA.  Ran it and bricked the card, artifacts all over the shop - even in UEFI.  RMA'd it.

Edited by Guest

Isn't that a dual bios card? If so try the other one.

Do you notice any artifacts or strangeness outside of Windows ie. UEFI, post-boot?

Bios ran like a charm, no issues at all - the card ran great without the drivers too, so I'm pretty convinced it's the drivers!