How to connect built in case fans

jh01
Go to solution Solved by DeepCool zer0,
4 hours ago, jh01 said:

Anyone has an idea?

Hello,

Each fan will have two sets of wires: one is for ARGB lighting, the second is to provide the fan power to spin. The connector in the picture you provided with thehad 3 pins and the little wings on each of the the side (JST connector)  is for the ARGB lighting. It sounds like you had that wired up correctly, initially. The second set of wires that come from these fans are the DC power wires that have a 3pin connector as well, but the connector should look like the attached picture. 1652106053_DCfanconnector.JPG.4f989a61912947adeb05f554501032b4.JPG The DC fan cable from each of the 4 fans needs to be plugged into the included splitter; wiring of the fans to this splitter might have already been done at the factory. With all the fans plugged into this splitter, you would need to plug the single side of the splitter into a Chas or Sys fan header. I also included a picture of the included splitter below. That should be all that is required to get those fans spinning. I hope this helps.  

1799057193_pwmSplitter.thumb.jpg.d867487b23bd99858b8ba7ce1ec9b2b0.jpg

DeepCool Support

I am trying to built my first pc. But I am very confused with all the cables from the built in rgb case fans. The case is DeepCool MATREXX 50 ADD-RGB 4F. There's a sata cable which I connected. But that only lights up the fans, they don't spin. Am I missing something?

did you plug any of the fans cables into anything or only the rgb cables

2 minutes ago, jh01 said:

I am trying to built my first pc. But I am very confused with all the cables from the built in rgb case fans. The case is DeepCool MATREXX 50 ADD-RGB 4F. There's a sata cable which I connected. But that only lights up the fans, they don't spin. Am I missing something?

There's an RGB cable, and a power/PWM cable. If the fans are PWM, it will be a four pin connector. If they're not, it will be a three-pin. Look for a header on your motherboard that says "SYS_FAN_1", or "SYS_FAN_2", or any other number. Plug the connector into the header, ensuring you line up the plastic rails with the connector.

1 minute ago, wavem2 said:

There's an RGB cable, and a power/PWM cable. If the fans are PWM, it will be a four pin connector. If they're not, it will be a three-pin. Look for a header on your motherboard that says "SYS_FAN_1", or "SYS_FAN_2", or any other number. Plug the connector into the header, ensuring you line up the plastic rails with the connector.

There's a cable that says "main". You mean that one? Also my motherboard says CHA_FAN. Its a asus rog b450-f

Just now, jh01 said:

There's a cable that says "main". You mean that one? Also my motherboard says CHA_FAN.

Yeah, I mean that one. CHA_FAN is the same thing, it just means "Chassis Fan" instead of "System Fan".

Just now, wavem2 said:

Yeah, I mean that one. CHA_FAN is the same thing, it just means "Chassis Fan" instead of "System Fan".

Ah thank you. As for the cable, you mean the cable that says "main"?

Just now, jh01 said:

Ah thank you. As for the cable, you mean the cable that says "main"?

image.png.b78fe99d1d475d7f7616d7e21093f12b.png

Yes, should look like this. It might also have 3 pins instead of 4.

image.png.b78fe99d1d475d7f7616d7e21093f12b.png

Yes, should look like this. It might also have 3 pins instead of 4.

Spoiler

Like that?

IMG20210707230806.jpg

Just now, jh01 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Like that?

Yes. That is a 3-pin connector. You can plug it into either a 3-pin header or 4-pin header, as shown below.What is PWM and how does it work? - ekwb.com

3 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

Yes. That is a 3-pin connector. You can plug it into either a 3-pin header or 4-pin header, as shown below.What is PWM and how does it work? - ekwb.com

If I plug the cable in, the rgb stops working and they don't spin

1 minute ago, jh01 said:

If I plug the cable in, the rgb stops working and they don't spin

Hmmm, that's really weird. That 3-pin cable looked a little funny, it's possible the case came with a proprietary fan connector that it requires to run. Is there anywhere in the case where you see a little box that the 3-pin might be able to plug into?

Just now, wavem2 said:

Hmmm, that's really weird. That 3-pin cable looked a little funny, it's possible the case came with a proprietary fan connector that it requires to run. Is there anywhere in the case where you see a little box that the 3-pin might be able to plug into?

See pics. It was connected to that other cable, which went to what I think is the fan connector

IMG20210707230935.jpg

IMG20210707230927.jpg

Just now, jh01 said:

See pics. It was connected to that other cable, which went to what I think is the fan connector

IMG20210707230935.jpg

IMG20210707230927.jpg

Try connecting the main cable back into what it was plugged into before, and see what that cable goes to. It might very well not be plugged into anything at all.

Try connecting the main cable back into what it was plugged into before, and see what that cable goes to. It might very well not be plugged into anything at all.

I did that and the cable goes to here: (thats why im confused why they don't spin)

IMG20210707230935.jpg

1 minute ago, jh01 said:

I did that and the cable goes to here: (thats why im confused why they don't spin)

IMG20210707230935.jpg

Maybe try going into BIOS and see if the fans are set to zero-RPM? They might not spin up on boot if they have been set to not do anything until the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

2 minutes ago, jh01 said:

Do any other wires come off that white piece that you plugged the cable into? If it's a controller for the fans, it probably needs plugged into one of the motherboard fan headers. The motherboard would tell the controller how fast to turn the fans and the fans would (should) listen. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Maybe try going into BIOS and see if the fans are set to zero-RPM? They might not spin up on boot if they have been set to not do anything until the CPU reaches a certain temperature.

Oh I gotta first finish the built then. I previously had a different case but I switched to this one. I just wanted to test to see if fans spinned. I'll update when I'm done and able to check the bios

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Do any other wires come off that white piece that you plugged the cable into? If it's a controller for the fans, it probably needs plugged into one of the motherboard fan headers. The motherboard would tell the controller how fast to turn the fans and the fans would (should) listen. 

Yeah one sata cable which I connected. It has a sticker on it which says unplug if connected to motherboard. 

Anyone has an idea?

2 hours ago, jh01 said:

Anyone has an idea?

Sorry, I ended up getting busy with work and forgetting to come back.

What does the rest of that white controller look like, and what other cables come off it. There is the Sata power connector, and then there should be one that looks like a fan cable.

Spoiler

original.jpg

Like that, but it might also only have 3 pins in it.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 hours ago, jh01 said:

Anyone has an idea?

Hello,

Each fan will have two sets of wires: one is for ARGB lighting, the second is to provide the fan power to spin. The connector in the picture you provided with thehad 3 pins and the little wings on each of the the side (JST connector)  is for the ARGB lighting. It sounds like you had that wired up correctly, initially. The second set of wires that come from these fans are the DC power wires that have a 3pin connector as well, but the connector should look like the attached picture. 1652106053_DCfanconnector.JPG.4f989a61912947adeb05f554501032b4.JPG The DC fan cable from each of the 4 fans needs to be plugged into the included splitter; wiring of the fans to this splitter might have already been done at the factory. With all the fans plugged into this splitter, you would need to plug the single side of the splitter into a Chas or Sys fan header. I also included a picture of the included splitter below. That should be all that is required to get those fans spinning. I hope this helps.  

DeepCool Support

15 hours ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

Hello,

DeepCool Support

Thanks! Got it to work