6900 XT Heavy Coil whine under load

Exeon

I've heard that the new GPU lineups can have some coil whine but I didn't think it was this bad.

On idle you don't hear a thing it's primarily a problem once the GPU draws more power.

So just browsing websites and such and there isn't any noticable sound, but from 50W upwards the GPU starts screeching.

I've limited the framerate to 144, which does help in certain cases.

I'm using an EVGA G2 850W PSU which I believe should be more than enough for the 6900 XT (it draws less than a 3080)

Is anyone experience similar problems? Could this be fixed with a different PSU?

Never had any noise on my 980TI before so it was kinda surprising, at first I thought something was stuck on the fans

Coil whine is to a large degree totally random. A magnet has to both crack and then resonate within the frequency of human hearing.  It might be that one design or another is more likely to make magnets crack or one design has more magnets than another, but it can happen or not happen anywhere.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My 3090 FE was also bad.  The worst part was it was coming through my sound card into my headphones.  

Here's how I fixed mine.  It worked so well I'm still skeptical but if you can do me a huge favor and give it a try and post your results on my thread, I would be grateful.  

Fix for GPU wine? MAYBE! - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

11 hours ago, Exeon said:

I've heard that the new GPU lineups can have some coil whine but I didn't think it was this bad.

On idle you don't hear a thing it's primarily a problem once the GPU draws more power.

So just browsing websites and such and there isn't any noticable sound, but from 50W upwards the GPU starts screeching.

I've limited the framerate to 144, which does help in certain cases.

I'm using an EVGA G2 850W PSU which I believe should be more than enough for the 6900 XT (it draws less than a 3080)

Is anyone experience similar problems? Could this be fixed with a different PSU?

Never had any noise on my 980TI before so it was kinda surprising, at first I thought something was stuck on the fans

You are using one of the best if not the best PSU ever,so it's not PSU.

I don't understand why you guys are so obsessed with c.w. because nothing you can do about it.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

3 hours ago, LmnSour said:

My 3090 FE was also bad.  The worst part was it was coming through my sound card into my headphones.  

Here's how I fixed mine.  It worked so well I'm still skeptical but if you can do me a huge favor and give it a try and post your results on my thread, I would be grateful.  

That’s likely not coil whine then.  Coil whine is noise the machine makes that is more or less totally analog and not associated with computations at all.  There is no digital signal involved.  I suppose the sound could simply have resonated a part of your headphones, but if it was actually happening in the line, if there was actually signal conversion it was probably something else.  If it WAS converting to actual signal though that would really be something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

44 minutes ago, frozensun said:

You are using one of the best if not the best PSU ever,so it's not PSU.

I don't understand why you guys are so obsessed with c.w. because nothing you can do about it.

Usually anyway.  Nothing with any degree of reliability.  I’ve heard of using small clock changes or manipulation of the coil like pouring glue on it to change the frequency of the resonation and make it less annoying.  Often not reliable or even effective though.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Usually anyway.  Nothing with any degree of reliability.  I’ve heard of using small clock changes or manipulation of the coil like pouring glue on it to change the frequency of the resonation and make it less annoying.  Often not reliable or even effective though.

Yeah I've heard people desoldering coils too 😄

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

Yeah I've heard people desoldering coils too 😄

Fully replacing a coil could work.  Until/unless  it cracks again.  Kinda wondering how many coils are there on a 6900xt motherboard?  Enough of them and one is sure to crack? As things get bigger and more powerful more coils would be needed.

Edited by Bombastinator

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s likely not coil whine then.  Coil whine is noise the machine makes that is more or less totally analog and not associated with computations at all.  There is no digital signal involved.  I suppose the sound could simply have resonated a part of your headphones, but if it was actually happening in the line, if there was actually signal conversion it was probably something else.  If it WAS converting to actual signal though that would really be something.

No, its coil wine.  The sound feedback in my headphones were directly proportional to the coil wine of the GPU which was directly proportional to GPU load. 

3 hours ago, LmnSour said:

No, its coil wine.  The sound feedback in my headphones were directly proportional to the coil wine of the GPU which was directly proportional to GPU load. 

So some sort of resonance

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So some sort of resonance

I'm pretty sure coil whine is the physical vibration of the coils themselves.  When I was trying to troubleshoot the headset buzz I noticed two things.  

When I was touching the 3.5mm jack going into the sound card, I noticed the buzz was dampened and went away if I put a little pressure on the jack.  

Also, when I pulled the 3.5mm jack out of the sound card, I noticed the buzzing would occur with just the jack touching the 3.5mm port.

I figured the buzzing was the coil wine vibrations transferring through the case to the sound card causing the headphone buzzing.  The rubber grommets were intended to isolate the sound card from the video card by reducing the vibrations and they worked great.  But a few days later, gaming without headsets, I noticed the coil wine itself was also gone which makes me believe the rubber grommet helps to dampen the video card vibration and reduce the coil wine.  

1 hour ago, LmnSour said:

I'm pretty sure coil whine is the physical vibration of the coils themselves.  When I was trying to troubleshoot the headset buzz I noticed two things.  

When I was touching the 3.5mm jack going into the sound card, I noticed the buzz was dampened and went away if I put a little pressure on the jack.  

Also, when I pulled the 3.5mm jack out of the sound card, I noticed the buzzing would occur with just the jack touching the 3.5mm port.

I figured the buzzing was the coil wine vibrations transferring through the case to the sound card causing the headphone buzzing.  The rubber grommets were intended to isolate the sound card from the video card by reducing the vibrations and they worked great.  But a few days later, gaming without headsets, I noticed the coil wine itself was also gone which makes me believe the rubber grommet helps to dampen the video card vibration and reduce the coil wine.  

The noise probably wasn’t actually gone but the change may have moved the vibration out of the range of human hearing.  A dog for example might really not like your computer still.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The noise probably wasn’t actually gone but the change may have moved the vibration out of the range of human hearing.  A dog for example might really not like your computer still.

I'm ok with that.

11 minutes ago, LmnSour said:

I'm ok with that.

Most are. 

On 7/7/2021 at 3:40 PM, LmnSour said:

I actually had this issue when I bought my 980ti, I could hear electrical interference on my headphones(with a 3.5mm jack) 

I fixed this by buying a DAC.

I might try the grommet thing out, can't lose much beyond a couple of bucks and 5m of my time