Fix for GPU wine? MAYBE!

LmnSour

Background, I was looking to fix the buzzing in my Soundcard which was associated with GPU coil-whine (RTX 3090).  Everywhere I read said it was from EMI interference but two observations I figured it was something else: 1: when I held the 3.5mm jack with a little pressure, the buzzing was reduced or was eliminated and 2: when I was plugging the jack into the sound card, just touching the jack to the 3.5mm port caused the buzzing.  It appeared to me that the buzzing was coming from a high frequency vibration of the 3.5mm jack. 

Later I learned that coil-whine was caused by vibrations of the electromagnetic coils on the GPU.  My theory was that the frequency from the vibrations of these coils was being transferred through the metal case / PCI-E brackets to the sound card so I bought some rubber grommets to isolate the GPU and the sound card from each other (see below for the link to the grommets I used).  Sure enough, all the buzzing has stopped!

Pkg of 24 - Black SBR Rubber Push-in Grommet - Inner Diameter 1/8", Outer Diameter 11/32", Fits Panel Hole 1/4", Fits Panel Thickness 1/16": Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific 

Here's the best part though, last night, I was gaming with my fans turned low and using speakers (usually I game with headphones due to the coil-whine) and I realized there wasn't any coil whine anymore.  I turned all the fans off and still no whine.  I opened my case, and even with 100% GPU usage, coil-whine was minimum at best. 

My theory is the grommets dampen the entire GPU and reduces the coil vibrations vs having the GPU hard mounted to a metal case.

If someone would like to help me out here and grab some rubber grommets and please post results here, I'm very curious if this is a fluke or a repeatable fix to the annoying issue of coil whine.

Where exactly did u put the grommets? 

I wonder if a couple of mech keyboard switch sized 'O' rings between the bracket and the mount would have the same effect.  Most enthusiasts wouldn't even need to order anything special in then

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 hours ago, Willo112 said:

Where exactly did u put the grommets? 

I stuck them on the PCI-E Bracket where the screw goes.

Grommet.jpg

Grommet 2.jpg

Grommet 3.jpg