Girlfriend's PC update

Budget (including currency): $2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Zero-K, Blender, No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk 2077

Other details I have a case, RAM (some Kingston 3200MHz DDR4, two 16 GB sticks, can't remember what were they exactly), Samsung 970 Evo SSD and an RTX 2080 Ti, all of which I plan to reuse.

I mostly need a CPU + cooler + Mobo + PSU, I was thinking about a 5900x + Gigabyte AORUS Master (but I'm afraid of getting a rev1.0 board with issues), I dunno about the PSU.

She currently has a very problematic i9 9900k with some Asus mobo which isn't very stable, I suspect it's a faulty PSU or mobo so I'd like to buy new ones.

49 minutes ago, Chris Hasinski said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Zero-K, Blender, No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk 2077

Other details I have a case, RAM (some Kingston 3200MHz DDR4, two 16 GB sticks, can't remember what were they exactly), Samsung 970 Evo SSD and an RTX 2080 Ti, all of which I plan to reuse.

I mostly need a CPU + cooler + Mobo + PSU, I was thinking about a 5900x + Gigabyte AORUS Master (but I'm afraid of getting a rev1.0 board with issues), I dunno about the PSU.

She currently has a very problematic i9 9900k with some Asus mobo which isn't very stable, I suspect it's a faulty PSU or mobo so I'd like to buy new ones.

Cooler - Tu zalezy od ciebie czy chcesz pakowac tam AIO, czy wpakować porządny cooler typu Noctua NH-D15.

Jeżeli chodzi o chłodzenie wodne to polecam H150i od Corsaira.

Do tego proca jeżeli o cooler chodzi polecam iść wyżej niż Cooler Master 212 Evo.

Jak dla mnie to do 2080Ti możesz wpakować Ryzena 9 5900 bez problemu, przy okazji masz proca, który w przyszłości pozwoli ci na upgrade na coś fajniejszego w czasie, gdy ten RTX za kawał czasu straci wsparcie.

Jako płytę możesz wpakować ASUS TUF Gaming X570.

Fajna płyta, bardzo fajne UEFI - przejrzyste i korzystanie z niej jest absolutnie przyjemnością.

Jeżeli o zasilacz chodzi Corsair TX650 powinien ci wystarczyć do tego buildu, jako minimum.

Dla późniejszego OC i innych pierdołek na twoim miejscu wpakowałbym tam RM750X.

Tyle ode mnie w temacie 😉

I'm here to help you out with some basic tasks, I'm still learning some things, so don't belive I can solve everything 😉

I'm collecting all type of hardware - 90% of my collection is a LGA775 stuff rest is some 2010's Era

Hit me up on discord if you want to talk more

heli #1337

3 hours ago, Chris Hasinski said:

Dont bother with an ocing board like aorus master, your gf is most likely not gonna oc anyways like most ppl and tbh thats fine cause pbo has a long way to go and to even have pbo be efficient you need to tweak it manually

For the cpu get a 5900x

For the board get a b550 tomahawk

For the cooler get a dark rock 4 (pro 4 is too thicc)

For the psu get a corsair rm, msi mpg, or revolution df (750w/850w preffered)

5900x cause blender and an 10900f or similar from intel needs to be manually tuned cause most of the boards use uneccesary voltage for it

Dark rock 4 cause its a pretty good cooler while not being too thicc and chonky so working around the cpu socket is easier

B550 tomahawk cause your gf is most likely never gonna mess with ocing or even touch the bios at all unless its for minor stuff like boot order

28 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Dont bother with an ocing board like aorus master, your gf is most likely not gonna oc anyways like most ppl and tbh thats fine cause pbo has a long way to go and to even have pbo be efficient you need to tweak it manually

For the cpu get a 5900x

For the board get a b550 tomahawk

For the cooler get a dark rock 4 (pro 4 is too thicc)

For the psu get a corsair rm, msi mpg, or revolution df (750w/850w preffered)

5900x cause blender and an 10900f or similar from intel needs to be manually tuned cause most of the boards use uneccesary voltage for it

Dark rock 4 cause its a pretty good cooler while not being too thicc and chonky so working around the cpu socket is easier

B550 tomahawk cause your gf is most likely never gonna mess with ocing or even touch the bios at all unless its for minor stuff like boot order

The Scythe Fuma 2 performs identically to the DRP4 and is $30 less ;/

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

The Scythe Fuma 2 performs identically to the DRP4 and is $30 less ;/

Whoops

Its not available everywhere tho but if it happens to be available where op lives then sure get that instead

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Whoops

Its not available everywhere tho but if it happens to be available where op lives then sure get that instead

U12S Redux? U12? D15? So many better, cheaper alternatives.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Do b550 tomahawk require a firmware upgrade to support a 5000 series Ryzen CPU?

Shouldn't I get a X570 mobo?

52 minutes ago, Chris Hasinski said:

Do b550 tomahawk require a firmware upgrade to suppot 5000 series Ryzen CPU?

Shouldn't I get a X570 mobo?

No you dont need x570 unless you are using more than one gen4 m.2 drive

Thanks for all the input.

I've bought a 5900X, turns out her PSU was actually good and also compatible (Corsair HX1000i) and so was the cooler (Corsair Hydro Series H150i, plus she found the mounting bracket for AMD), so I've used the extra budget to get her a X570 mobo and a gen4 m.2 SSD (WD Black SN850). I've picked the X570 so she can add another gen4 SSD in the future, as suggested by @Somerandomtechyboi.

Seems like a well-rounded spec for Blender, programming and a gaming machine:

Parts:
- CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Corsair Hydro Series H150i
- MoBo: Gigabyte AORUS Master X570 (I've considered going with MSI, however the dead mobo I'm replacing is also MSI Tomahawk)
- Kingston Fury RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 x2 for total of 32GB
- Samsung 970 Evo 1TB + WD Black SN850 1TB (one for gaming on Windows, one for real work on Linux)
- Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W PSU
- Thermaltake LEVEL 20 GT RGB Riing Plus TG

Peripherals:
- LG 34UC97C-B (probably the oldest thing in this build)
- Razer DeathAdder Mini + Razer Huntsman Mini
- Blue Yeti X + Logitech C920 Pro HD for occasional streaming

Just finished replacing parts and it seems to be working well, no BIOS upgrade needed.

6 minutes ago, Chris Hasinski said:

Thanks for all the input.

I've bought a 5900X, turns out her PSU was good enough and compatible (Corsair HX1000i) and so was the cooler (Corsair Hydro Series H150i, plus she found the mounting bracket for AMD), so I've used the extra budget to get her a X570 mobo and a gen4 m.2 SSD (WD Black SN850). I've picked the X570 so she can add another gen4 SSD in the future, as suggested by @Somerandomtechyboi.

Seems like a well-rounded spec for Blender, programming and a gaming machine:

Parts:
- CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Corsair Hydro Series H150i
- MoBo: Gigabyte AORUS Master X570 (I've considered going with MSI, however the dead mobo I'm replacing is also MSI Tomahawk)
- Kingston Fury RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 x2 for total of 32GB
- Samsung 970 Evo 1TB + WD Black SN850 1TB (one for gaming on Windows, one for real work on Linux)
- Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
- Corsair HX1000i 1000W PSU
- Thermaltake LEVEL 20 GT RGB Riing Plus TG

Peripherals:
- LG 34UC97C-B (probably the oldest thing in this build)
- Razer DeathAdder Mini + Razer Huntsman Mini
- Blue Yeti X + Logitech C920 Pro HD for occasional streaming

Just finished replacing parts and it seems to be working well, no BIOS upgrade needed.

Cooler is abit uneccesary cause i bet theres gonna be no overclocking but i guess itll perform like a drp4 or nh d15 and keep cpu temps down

And board is not neccesary, a 12 phase vrm will be enough for a non oced 5900x

Other than a couple somewhat uneccesarily overkill parts is a good build

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Cooler is abit uneccesary cause i bet theres gonna be no overclocking but i guess itll perform like a drp4 or nh d15 and keep cpu temps down

True, but that's what I already had, so it was either that or getting something new. I wouldn't probably go for an AIO watercooling if I had to buy something now.

Just now, Chris Hasinski said:

True, but that's what I already had, so it was either that or getting something new. I wouldn't probably go for an AIO watercooling if I had to buy something now.

Lol

My logic on pc parts is basically if ive got a 12 phase vrm board im gonna use it all and then some

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Lol

My logic on pc parts is basically if ive got a 12 phase vrm board im gonna use it all and then some

Considering she had so many stability issues over the last few months with her i9 9900k on MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK I'm going for super-stable--a-bit-overkill-nothing-OCed 😉 I don't want to see a Valheim kernel panic on Linux and BSOD on Windows ever again.