SSD doesn't show in Windows

Inkz

So I have an old laptop I went to transfer some files off of and the drive no longer shows up. It shows it is still in the bios and it was partitioned and everything a long time ago. But I came back to it and now it won't even show in disk management in windows yet it shows it is detected by bios. Any ideas?

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Have an external HDD caddy? Stick it in there and partition it, should be recognized.

IDK why but after I left the BIOS the drive just showed up the next time I loaded windows, maybe because it was like 8 months since I turned on the laptop idk

Just now, Inkz said:

IDK why but after I left the BIOS the drive just showed up the next time I loaded windows, maybe because it was like 8 months since I turned on the laptop idk

Ah nice. When I first installed my CompactFlash to IDE adapter in an old computer, I was very concerned since the first boot to Windows 98 setup it didn't show up, but turns out all I had to do was turn it on, open the BIOS, close the BIOS without changing anything, restart, and it magically worked. Stuff like that just happens sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ah nice. When I first installed my CompactFlash to IDE adapter in an old computer, I was very concerned since the first boot to Windows 98 setup it didn't show up, but turns out all I had to do was turn it on, open the BIOS, close the BIOS without changing anything, restart, and it magically worked. Stuff like that just happens sometimes.

actually it disappeared in the middle of a file transfer, I wonder if it is dying or the connection is loose

21 minutes ago, Inkz said:

actually it disappeared in the middle of a file transfer, I wonder if it is dying or the connection is loose

Hm. Could be either, any other drive you can test with? I recommend opening the machine up and reseating the SSD.