I have huge questions on how wiring works for a STM32f407 for essentially DIYing a Force Feedback Steering wheel

For reasons im asking the LTT forum of all places is I dont really think reddits forum for r/Simracing is gonna shed light on DIY projects like these and im hoping theres a few people who work with boards and have insight on how to do wiring or explain it in a way I can understand.

for why im posting it in general discussion I dont see any other places that would catorgorize my questions properly

Essentially for the button 1 to 16 im really confused on how to wire the buttons when buttons usually have a plus and minus like how pc boot up is where it needs a point of contact between metal to power it on but for this instance its sending a signal but then im really oddly confused since it seems like theres not gonna be any where its gonna get a signal to send to the pad because it doesnt have any power to tell if the button is working or not this is a really confusing post but if buttons only have 2 wires and one receives power and the button is the way to let the power through to the other wire to send a signal then this is oddly confusing because theres only 16 pads there labeled if you are wondering what im trying to do is that im trying to modify my logitech driving force pro and getting rid of the old logitech board and its motor since its weak and horrible in all honesty and the old logitech board would have not allowed me to do a reliable motor swap since the logitech power brick is not that big and it would need more voltage it couldnt handle to run a new motor so I opted to essentially diy a steering wheel inside a carcass of the logitech wheel and I want to keep using the rim while having the buttons on the rim to still work so id need to wire that which is a pain but its honestly cheaper than getting a brand new wheel especially in my economy with this option proving to be more efficient in terms of the results compared to brand new wheels like the g29 or the trueforce logitech wheel so im just confused on how to wire the buttons if the firmware im gonna be using to make this all work says that those specific pads are the ones to receive the buttons signal with no insight on where the buttons can get power to send a signal

Anschluss.jpg

Here, distribute these throughout your post in a grammatically correct fashion: ............,,,,,,,,,....???????? 🙂

Now, as to the questions: just as it seems there's no power to a button doesn't mean it won't work. Buttons do only one thing, and do it well for that's what they're designed for: connect 2 wires on the press of the button. Power comes in different forms and the micro-electronics on your board uses negative logic. Meaning that instead of feeding a positive through the button, it's connected to the negative instead. Internally, the controller chip provides the positive side as well as a resistor to detect the level changes on the button press (or release). Just connect the buttons to the pins marked GND and let the controller do the rest.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Im honestly very sorry for my incredibily bad english and grammar my english isnt on par with most people out there im from a country with not so good education in english and I didnt do so well in it to begin with. but thank you for the insight that has helped alot.

1 hour ago, Justinphan4 said:

Essentially for the button 1 to 16 im really confused on how to wire the buttons. When buttons usually have a plus and minus, like how pc boot up is where it needs a point of contact between metal to power it on, but for this instance its sending a signal.

But then im really oddly confused since it seems like theres not gonna be any where its gonna get a signal to send to the pad, because it doesnt have any power to tell if the button is working or not. This is a really confusing post, but if buttons only have 2 wires, and one receives power and the button is the way to let the power through to the other wire to send a signal, then this is confusing, because theres only 16 pads there labeled.

If you are wondering what im trying to do, is that im trying to modify my logitech driving force pro and getting rid of the old logitech board and its motor since its weak and horrible. In all honesty the old logitech board would have not allowed me to do a reliable motor swap since the logitech power brick is not that big and it would need more voltage.

Therefore I opted to essentially diy a steering wheel inside a carcass of the logitech wheel and I want to keep using the rim while having the buttons on the rim to still work, so id need to wire that which is a pain but its honestly cheaper than getting a brand new wheel, especially in my economy with this option proving to be more efficient in terms of the results compared to brand new wheels like the g29 or the trueforce logitech wheel.

So im just confused on how to wire the buttons, if the firmware im gonna be using to make this all work says that

those specific pads are the ones to receive the buttons signal with no insight on where the buttons can get power to send a signal.

For anyone else trying to read the post, here it is with some modifications that make it an easier read.