Recording audio with the Rpi?

_Dawnte_

I was planning to test and create an analog ANC (active noise cancelling) system that is recorded and sent as an attatchment via email. While I know that the pi is capable of sending emails and attatching files, I was wondering if anyone knew how I would get the audio signal? Since my ANC system is an analog output, is the Rpi capable of receiving that signal straight from an analog pin or would it be better that i get an audio jack output? Would the pi be able to record with its 3.5mm jack? 

I'm  currently new to these DIY projects with the pi and I have yet to actually order the Pi because they are pricy in my country so I'm gathering as much information as possible for now. 
Thank you!

I think you might need a proper usb audio interface. Steinberg makes quality products, my brother has been using one for years.

3.5mm jack on the RPi is for output only... you would need extra adapter. I assume you already have a computer.

ah dang alright welp, time to get a sound card, thank you for the input~ And yes i already have a computer to configure it. Oh also ,quick question, does it really not have a wifi module? 

1 minute ago, _Dawnte_ said:

ah dang alright welp, time to get a sound card, thank you for the input~ And yes i already have a computer to configure it. Oh also ,quick question, does it really not have a wifi module? 

Can you be more specific? Please share a source of product in question.

Oh, I was reffering to the raspberry pi 4 B i see specifications that says that it has wifi b/g/n/ac capablities however i also see some projects on the pi which employ a separate wifi module

10 minutes ago, _Dawnte_ said:

Oh, I was reffering to the raspberry pi 4 B i see specifications that says that it has wifi b/g/n/ac capablities however i also see some projects on the pi which employ a separate wifi module

Some modules might not have wifi, but you also need to buy a special board to install them onto. Module + board can not be cheaper than just getting 4B. If you really want to mess with it, every RPi has 40 GPIO pins. Those can be used as input, USB adapter should be less trouble. But I never tried this myself, so it's not 100% guaranteed to work and isn't super user friendly by any means.

GPIO-Pinout-Diagram-2.png

50 minutes ago, _Dawnte_ said:

I was planning to test and create an analog ANC (active noise cancelling) system that is recorded and sent as an attatchment via email. While I know that the pi is capable of sending emails and attatching files, I was wondering if anyone knew how I would get the audio signal? Since my ANC system is an analog output, is the Rpi capable of receiving that signal straight from an analog pin or would it be better that i get an audio jack output? Would the pi be able to record with its 3.5mm jack? 

I'm  currently new to these DIY projects with the pi and I have yet to actually order the Pi because they are pricy in my country so I'm gathering as much information as possible for now. 
Thank you!

33 minutes ago, _Dawnte_ said:

ANC that needs to send recordings remotely somewhere else? Sounds like you bugging someone...

Anyhow you don't need a lot processing power and you won't use it for daily OS stuff so why not get a cheaper alternative, like the an older Orange Pi.

I've got one Orange Pi PC Plus H3 doing some automation stuff, had it over a year or maybe even two now, works well for the task. It. has a mic, wifi, runs Armbian and costs ~40$ (can be found on AliExpress and eBay).

image.png.c8dde260b4266a134a3197cf80ff2bf6.png

The only downside is the barrel jack, runs on 5V 2A but you need a particular cable (USB to DC 4.0mm - 1.7mm)

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

2 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

ANC that you need to send recordings remotely somewhere else? Sounds like you bugging someone...

Anyhow you don't need a lot processing power and you won't use it for daily OS stuff so why not get a cheaper alternative, like the an older Orange Pi.

I've got one Orange Pi PC Plus H3 doing some automation stuff, had it over a year or maybe even two now, works well for the task. It. has a mic, wifi, runs Armbian and costs ~40$ (can be found on AliExpress and eBay).

image.png.c8dde260b4266a134a3197cf80ff2bf6.png

The only downside is the barrel jack, runs on 5V 2A but you need a particular cable (USB to DC 4.0MM - 1.7MM)

Lol it does sound like I'm bugging someone. This sounds perfect actually for the use case that i need it for however ill still be using the Pi4 after it for some larger more processor intensive projects so ill be sticking with the pi....thank you for the input though!

1 hour ago, _Dawnte_ said:

Pi4 after it for some larger more processor intensive projects so ill be sticking with the pi....thank you for the input though!

You are welcome, and yeah if you need something more powerful definitely go for Rpi 4.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet