Intel and Apple First to Adopt TSMC's 3nm Technology

Lightwreather

@LAwLz @leadeater Intel's 14nm evolution is a good example of optimising design choices. If we consider Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake, they're all essentially the same microarchitecture but on evolutions of the 14nm process, while they still bothered with +'s. Intel intentionally reduced density to enable the better scaling at higher clocks.

Don't take the numbers too literally, but if we assume a 1.4v limited overlock, Skylake was officially 4.2 GHz turbo, would hit around 4.7 or 4.8 GHz OC'd. Kaby Lake was 4.5 GHz turbo, could attain 5.0 GHz OC on a good sample. Coffee Lake initially offered 4.7 GHz turbo with many reporting overclocks well above 5 GHz. Later it was the first Intel CPU to offer 5.0 GHz officially as a turbo, initially as the limited edition 8086k, later as 9900k. On again to Comet Lake as the last iteration of Skylake microarchitecture, turbo beyond 5 GHz is offered.

In AMD side, up to early Zen 2 the process didn't really allow higher clocks. For mixed workload stability the practical limit without extreme cooling seemed to be around 4.3 GHz no matter how much voltage you threw at it, although for specific workloads people got better results. I never owned/benched one myself, but I hear that later Zen 2 CPUs (a year or more after launch) did benefit some some improvement somewhere, with many overclockers reporting attaining higher stable clocks than on early samples. Even without a change in process name it doesn't mean the process stands still. If there are ways to get more out, they will find it and make use of it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible