Looking for a new router!

DannyBoii
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

@Electronics Wizardy

Do these MikroTik routers have wireless? Looks like they just use ethernet.

Nope the cheap ones are wired only.

Something cheap like this should be fine https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tp+link+router&qid=1625154306&sr=8-3

Does your isp charge you for the router? Id just keep using that if they don't

My budget is around 50 dollars. If I can get away with 30 I'd preffer that, though. I am looking for a router that will work well with raspberry pi projects like making a personal NAS and a VPN. My internet speed is only 50 down so I don't need a super powerful router. Oh, and my modem is an Arris Surfboard Model SB6141. Thanks guys!

Do you have anouther router, and this is only for the rapberry pi?

Do you need wifi? Id get something like a mikrotik Hex

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have anouther router, and this is only for the rapberry pi?

Do you need wifi? Id get something like a mikrotik Hex

Well, I have the gateway that came from my ISP but it's terrible. I can't even find a DDNS function to use NO-IP; So, yes, I'll need wifi on the router. I would probably daily drive the router but I definitely need it for the pi.

1 minute ago, DannyBoii said:

Well, I have the gateway that came from my ISP but it's terrible. I can't even find a DDNS function to use NO-IP; So, yes, I'll need wifi on the router. I would probably daily drive the router but I definitely need it for the pi.

Just saying, you can do ddns on you pi instead of the router. Id guess the stock router is fone for those speeds.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just saying, you can do ddns on you pi instead of the router. Id guess the stock router is fone for those speeds.

Oh, okay! I'm still pretty new to networking so I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll look it up. Is there a chance you might know a router I can get any way, just in case?

Just now, DannyBoii said:

Oh, okay! I'm still pretty new to networking so I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll look it up. Is there a chance you might know a router I can get any way, just in case?

Did you look up those suggested router links? For that budget there all gonna be pretty basica and work about the same, unless you want a more diy solution like the mikrotik ones or flashing ddwrt

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you look up those suggested router links? For that budget there all gonna be pretty basica and work about the same, unless you want a more diy solution like the mikrotik ones or flashing ddwrt

Oh right, I did not. i saw the ones from the NY Times but they were all over 100 USD. Let me check out the mikrotik ones. I've flashed a router to use DDWRT Once and it was awesome. Second router I tried it on I bricked the router lol.

2 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

@Electronics Wizardy

Do these MikroTik routers have wireless? Looks like they just use ethernet.

Something cheap like this should be fine https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tp+link+router&qid=1625154306&sr=8-3

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No they don't. I'm going to try and figure out how to work my Pi as it is now, I wasn't aware I could. I appreciate your help.