Advice on laptop repair

I received a Lenovo Ideapad 520s back from someone in pretty awful condition.  In addition to losing a lot of the screws they have managed to tear off the rubber feet and do serious damage to where the hinge connects to the chassis.  The screws I am not concerned about but I was hoping for some advice on replacing the feet and what can be done about the hinges.

IMG_20210614_212804.thumb.jpg.88316b3984c3380b81c74cc2145e1a57.jpg

IMG_20210614_212951.thumb.jpg.c97934f57d420356b59e03139b5c75f6.jpg

IMG_20210614_213015.thumb.jpg.29aad7a92f79fdd66744b399a1825c01.jpg

As you can see they have somehow managed to snap the plastic divots in the chassis that the gripping bolts of the hinges go into.  The best I can think of as a solution is to superglue the bolts down to where they used to be but I am hoping that someone might have a more reliable and less irreversible solution.

Yeah, problem with that is the new part would be the actual laptop itself, the hinges themselves are fine, its the chassis where they connect that is snapped.  I could maybe find a dead laptop of the same model and gut it just for the chassis, but that entails the hassle of dealing with laptop screens and antennae that run up into the screen.

3 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

I received a Lenovo Ideapad 520s back from someone in pretty awful condition.  In addition to losing a lot of the screws they have managed to tear off the rubber feet and do serious damage to where the hinge connects to the chassis.  The screws I am not concerned about but I was hoping for some advice on replacing the feet and what can be done about the hinges.

You're probably going to have a hard time finding the exact rubber feet for your model of laptop, I would recommend substituting with a few rubber bumper pads. -->     https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Silencer-Dampening-Furniture-4-7inx0-8in/dp/B087TMVJBW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2FPNBEKRF18T2&dchild=1&keywords=rubber+bumpers+self+adhesive&qid=1624991880&refinements=p_76%3A1249152011&rnid=1249150011&rps=1&s=hi&sprefix=rubber+bump%2Ctools%2C164&sr=1-1

I could maybe find a dead laptop of the same model and gut it just for the chassis, but that entails the hassle of dealing with laptop screens and antennae that run up into the screen.

iFixit has some good guides on their website related to these repairs. Also, you are going to have a cable running through the hinge connecting to the motherboard (for the integrated webcam / mic).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

the hassle of dealing with laptop screens and antennae that run up into the screen.

Yeah, been there, done that. You need to choose. From what I can see on pictures, super strong glue should do the job.

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, just hoped to find a nicer solution, makes me sad what has been done to this poor machine.

3 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

iFixit has some good guides on their website related to these repairs. Also, you are going to have a cable running through the hinge connecting to the motherboard (for the integrated webcam / mic).

I know, sadly not for this exact model but for some similar ones.  Forgot about needing to deal with the webcam/mic as well 😞

3 minutes ago, NotFakeName said:

Yeah, been there, done that. You need to choose. From what I can see on pictures, super strong glue should do the job.

Quite likely where I will go (possibly get some epoxy) and then resort to gutting a dead one if that fails.  But I wanted to put this out there to see if other people had similar experiences and other ideas.

If it was for myself and I wanted to use it I'd get new plastic for it with original rubber feet.

A 30 second search on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274593161458?hash=item3fef0720f2:g:2uwAAOSw4-RfwhvG

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

It’s an ideapad, burn it and buy a real laptop.

Jokes aside, though I’m not joking, your best here is to use light amounts of superglue and then build up the hinge framework with 2 part plastic epoxy. That’s about the best you can do for putting together plastic hinges again.

As for the feet, go to your local Walmart, find any old small rubber feet, usually they’ll be by home hardware for things like felt furniture feet, and find some that vaguely look like they’d fit, cut to size if needed.