Budget (including currency): 1300$ USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various games (such as the Witcher, Portal 2, etc) and 3d modeling work

Old rig: Refurbished HP ProBook 4520s

This is my first build ever so let me know what you think - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n7K2y4

Parts: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler]

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 super (at least)(hopefully)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 51.4 CFM 120 mm Fan  (2x fans) 

Monitor: Lg 27GL83A-b (1440p at 144Hz)

Peripherals: ??? (Looking for suggestions on keyboard, mouse, and extended mouse pad)(preferably black color scheme for the keyboard)

Time: Relatively soon (within a month) as I've been holding out on buying due to gpu shortage and scalpers/price gougers 

Looking for recommendations on: 

-parts list and improvements

-peripherals that don't break the bank but feel really nice

-cheap secondary large storage that is still an ssd and not a hdd (or just the best/fastest overall large quantity storage drive)

Thank you for helping me out with this!

To quote that helpful forum user from Maybe Building Your Own PC is a BAD Idea:

"I understand the urge, but unless you luck out at getting a card at MSRP (which involves a time-investment that automatically rules that out for a lot of people), this is frankly a bad idea.

"There will be chances to build your own computer when stock eventually normalizes. Now is not the time, especially if you're limited by how much you can actually spend. Think long and hard about whether the markup is worth it for the experience of building your own PC.

"If you want something for your money, there's this build from Newegg."

I'd recommending going the pre-built route right now. Prices are coming down, but if you can't wait, then just get a pre-built. Please don't give a scalper $600 for a GTX 1660S. That Newegg pre-built comes with an RTX 2060 for $1150. Plus, the 1660S isn't as good for 1440p gaming as the 2060, so you'd get a better experience with your monitor.

15 minutes ago, Manchester_Man said:

Budget (including currency): 1300$ USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Various games (such as the Witcher, Portal 2, etc) and 3d modeling work

Old rig: Refurbished HP ProBook 4520s

This is my first build ever so let me know what you think - 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n7K2y4

Parts: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler]

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 super (at least)(hopefully)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 51.4 CFM 120 mm Fan  (2x fans) 

Monitor: Lg 27GL83A-b (1440p at 144Hz)

Peripherals: ??? (Looking for suggestions on keyboard, mouse, and extended mouse pad)(preferably black color scheme for the keyboard)

Time: Relatively soon (within a month) as I've been holding out on buying due to gpu shortage and scalpers/price gougers 

Looking for recommendations on: 

-parts list and improvements

-peripherals that don't break the bank but feel really nice

-cheap secondary large storage that is still an ssd and not a hdd (or just the best/fastest overall large quantity storage drive)

Thank you for helping me out with this!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T86qF8 

Please don't spend $500+ on a 1660 super. if you want to spend about $500 on a GPU, try to get a 6700 XT reference, since they are at least possible to get for MSRP if you know what you're doing. There's a ton of guides on reddit, but the general gist is Thursday at 12PM EST (give or take two hours) be on their website, use the script to get the add to cart button, slowly refresh to avoid being blocked, wait till it adds to card, then go through checkout as fast as possible. The build above is Intel based so you can buy it all now and keep trying to get a good deal on a GPU. The iGPU isn't great, but you can probably play Portal 2 with it without a problem and will still be better than your HP laptop. 

Couple things, 

1. 3600 is fine, however the 5600X is probably a better value. 

2. Could probably run 3200 on your RAM, the difference is negligible to a 3600. 

3. You will most certainly need more than a 500gb ssd, at least in my opinion. Think about picking up a 1TB or 2TB HDD. 

4. Wait on the GPU. Do not waste your money buying a card right now. A 3060 would be a very viable and effective price in the future here. 

5. Don't skimp on the power supply. Go with CORSAIR or SEASONIC.