Windows 7, 10, 11 + Linux dual-boot

Nissash

Hello everyone!

I`m in difficult sittuation.

My current rig consists of Ryzen 1600x, RX 580 (8GB), 16 GB RAM, Prime B450-plus.

I running Linux as Main and Windows 7 as gaming.

I tried Win 10 and really don`t like it`s GUI and privacy policy (yes I read them all).

This month AMD stopped providing new graphical drivers for Win 7 and MicroSoft presented Windows 11. 

So my idea was to install windows 10 for a time being and then update to Win 11.

My PC have full UEFI secure boot and fTPM (2.0) support. But recently I read that Windows 11 will not support Ryzen 5 1600x.

So is it worth changing Win7 to Win 10? I don`t have any game that requires Win 10 or DX12. Most of them are DX11, Vulkan and working fine with WINE. But not all (especially multiplayer and MMO).

Will Win 11 work on my setup? 

And most important Will it run dual-boot with Linux Mint when UEFI secure boot and fTPM (2.0) enabled?

28 minutes ago, Nissash said:

Will Win 11 work on my setup? 

Nope, as of now Ryzen 1000 processors are on Microsofts not-supported list for Windows 11, so you're out of lu ck for that one.

28 minutes ago, Nissash said:

And most important Will it run dual-boot with Linux Mint when UEFI secure boot and fTPM (2.0) enabled?

It's not available outside of beta/insider channels yet, so hard to say how it'll play in the end.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

So it's better to wait for insiders to test it.

I hope that it will be like Win 7: technically Ryzen 1600x is not supported but practically runs pretty well 🙂

The only concern is dual-boot 🤨

Do you think of qemu/KVM ? I use VirtualBox that serves me well, so I don't jump with both my feet in it, but people said it's almost as good as the real thing (bare metal).

Dual-boot should work with  UEFI secure boot and fTPM (2.0)  as both are support by Linux and Windows. Also not that you can run Linux (red hat, ubuntu, fedora....) and Linux apps in Windows 10 using (WSL 2) and Windows 11 it looks more integrate, so you may not need to do dual boot as Windows 10 and 11 allow for best of both worlds in one. 

I`m running Windows and Linux on two separate SSD. When old Windows HDD died setup like these saved me a lot of time and files (copied from crashing HDD).