NAS build

Soo Since I pulled my cd/dvd drive from my current pc build to fit it in a smaller and neater case I decided that my second build could be a NAS. is there a way with freeNAS that I can fully unencrypt dvd's and store them on Plex with just freeNAS? And what about storing Film content and also how do you set this up to access it anywhere you have a network? Can I also set this up to run as a router and a personal vpn? Can I use this build for watching tv shows, netflix even though it's just a server build? I'm using a Pentium G3258 8gb ddr3. is it possible to do all this at once with a rig this old? I'm definately a newbie here soo little bits and tidbits of advice and simple tutorials on how to do it would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, JoshuaRossChristie said:

is there a way with freeNAS that I can fully unencrypt dvd's and store them on Plex with just freeNAS?

Nothing is built in that can do this. There are software that has been made.

And what about storing Film content and also how do you set this up to access it anywhere you have a network?

plex with port fordwarding can do this

Can I also set this up to run as a router and a personal vpn?

Not easily. You probably want anouther os here and a hypervisor, like proxmox + untangle

Can I use this build for watching tv shows, netflix even though it's just a server build?

Not with freenas, but you can setup sharing on oses like ubuntu or windows 10 and use them as your nas

Id probalby try to get these different needs seperate. Have a seperate router, have a seperate smart tv or streaming box, and have the nas just do nas work.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nothing is built in that can do this. There are software that has been made.

plex with port fordwarding can do this

Not easily. You probably want anouther os here and a hypervisor, like proxmox + untangle

Not with freenas, but you can setup sharing on oses like ubuntu or windows 10 and use them as your nas

Id probalby try to get these different needs seperate. Have a seperate router, have a seperate smart tv or streaming box, and have the nas just do nas work.

Soo probably best just to setup ubuntu. can you run freenas on a os or not?

6 minutes ago, JoshuaRossChristie said:

Soo probably best just to setup ubuntu. can you run freenas on a os or not?

Freenas is a os.

Id go ubuntu or windows here so you have a ui you can play movies with 

On 6/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Freenas is a os.

Id go ubuntu or windows here so you have a ui you can play movies with 

what about ubuntu server?

1 minute ago, JoshuaRossChristie said:

what about ubuntu server?

Ubuntu server is basically ubuntu without a gui. If you want to play movies, you will want a gui. You can runn all of the server programs on ubuntu desktop.