My laptop has a USB-C port. Can I use this as an external monitor?

cwgzz

So my laptop has a USB-C port, can I use an HDMI adapter to use as an monitor? Sorry for all the posts, I am not really familiar with this type of stuff haha 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What laptop?

You can't do this on almost all laptops

It’s an Acer Nitro AN515-54

Depends. Only some USB C ports allow you to do this.

USB C is kind of like a collective name for certain standards that are " good enough" or have specific features but aren't all the same.

You probably have to use a capture card or something like that. Or just mirror it if you can

1 hour ago, cwgzz said:

It’s an Acer Nitro AN515-54

No, it does not support display out on the USB-C according to acer forums, and none of the Nitro laptops has (at least the Oct 2020 and older versions anyways)

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/617420/usb-type-c-to-display-port-acer-nitro-5-an515-54

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/592121/acer-nitro-5-model-number-an515-54-54w2-2nd-display-with-usb-c-port-issue

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 hour ago, cwgzz said:

So my laptop has a USB-C port, can I use an HDMI adapter to use as an monitor? Sorry for all the posts, I am not really familiar with this type of stuff haha 

IF it is thunderbolt sure....

And its fine that you are not familiar.

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Celeric07

2 minutes ago, CELERIC07 said:

IF it is thunderbolt sure....

And its fine that you are not familiar.

What about a 3.0 USB-A to HDMI adapter? 

4 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

What about a 3.0 USB-A to HDMI adapter? 

Usually will work, as they have its own circuity to do the full conversion. The issue is that a decent amount of them are stuck with using the iGPU iirc

Just now, SlashedM said:

Usually will work, as they have its own circuity to do the full conversion. The issue is that a decent amount of them are stuck with using the iGPU iirc

Will it work as an extended display? I don’t want to mirror or duplicate. I have 2 different monitors that I want to use. I can use one monitor since my laptop only has 1 HDMI port, but as for the second monitor, I need something like an adapter. I don’t want to use the laptop screen, I want my laptop to mimic a desktop PC where it’s tucked under my desk. 

9 hours ago, cwgzz said:

Will it work as an extended display? I don’t want to mirror or duplicate. I have 2 different monitors that I want to use. I can use one monitor since my laptop only has 1 HDMI port, but as for the second monitor, I need something like an adapter. I don’t want to use the laptop screen, I want my laptop to mimic a desktop PC where it’s tucked under my desk. 

Yes it can

23 hours ago, SlashedM said:

Yes it can

I went to Target yesterday and I bought a USB-A to HDMI adapter and it works just fine, made by j5Create and was $29.99 haha it works as an extended display which is exactly what I wanted, but the FPS is really low but it's okay haha thank you for your help!!