Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am wondering could I use one GPU for two different VMs. At different times. I want one vm to be for work and the other for gaming and I dont want to buy two GPU's if I dont have too. I would also be using Unraid to host the VM's

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aaron96 said:

I am wondering could I use one GPU for two different VMs. At different times. I want one vm to be for work and the other for gaming and I dont want to buy two GPU's if I dont have too. I would also be using Unraid to host the VM's

 

If you aren't planning to use the hardware acceleration functionality of your graphics card for work, then you could just get a cheap used graphics card for display purposes in your work VM and use your other GPU for your gaming VM.

 

Could you include what graphics card specifically you are planning to use?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

 

If you aren't planning to use the hardware acceleration functionality of your graphics card for work, then you could just get a cheap used graphics card for display purposes in your work VM and use your other GPU for your gaming VM.

 

Could you include what graphics card specifically you are planning to use?

there wasnt one I just wondering because right now I have a 1660 super

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Aaron96 said:

there wasnt one I just wondering because right now I have a 1660 super

Do you really need vms here? Id just have seperate user accounts or dual boot the syste,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you really need vms here? Id just have seperate user accounts or dual boot the syste,

there is other stuff i am going to run but nothing that cant be done with the webpage

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aaron96 said:

there is other stuff i am going to run but nothing that cant be done with the webpage

What other stuff are you running?

 

Why not make windows 10 the vm host, make a vm for work stuff and a vm for other tasks as needed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What other stuff are you running?

 

Why not make windows 10 the vm host, make a vm for work stuff and a vm for other tasks as needed?

honestly right now there would only be 4. 2 windows machines, a plex server and a storage. and maybe a practice environment since I am about to start studying for my CCNA 200-301 test

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aaron96 said:

honestly right now there would only be 4. 2 windows machines, a plex server and a storage. and maybe a practice environment since I am about to start studying for my CCNA 200-301 test

Id just use hyper-v on windows for all the vms. 

 

And run storage on the host and use storage spaces. 

 

I don't see any reason for unraid here

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just use hyper-v on windows for all the vms. 

 

And run storage on the host and use storage spaces. 

 

I don't see any reason for unraid here

I just want to use Unraid honestly. Is there more simple ways of doing what I want yes. But I mostly want to learn more and the best way for me to learn is to just do not to mention im getting a server case with hard drive slades to house all my companions

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aaron96 said:

I just want to use Unraid honestly. Is there more simple ways of doing what I want yes. But I mostly want to learn more and the best way for me to learn is to just do not to mention im getting a server case with hard drive slades to house all my companions

But why unraid? If your goal is to learn server things, id learn with a better hypervisor, like esxi, hyper-v(its built into windows 10) or kvm based solution like proxmox.

 

Really hyper-v has all the features unraid has for vms, and will be much easier to use here, and storage spaces in windows lets you do the same mixed drive size configuration with caching and much better performance than unraid.

 

What system do you have? doing gpu passthrough is a pain and just isn't needed here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But why unraid? If your goal is to learn server things, id learn with a better hypervisor, like esxi, hyper-v(its built into windows 10) or kvm based solution like proxmox.

 

Really hyper-v has all the features unraid has for vms, and will be much easier to use here, and storage spaces in windows lets you do the same mixed drive size configuration with caching and much better performance than unraid.

 

What system do you have? doing gpu passthrough is a pain and just isn't needed here. 

I get that what I want to do is a pain and I get what you are saying. and I've tried running a VM in windows using programs like hypervisor, orical ect. but I never liked them that much

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aaron96 said:

I get that what I want to do is a pain and I get what you are saying. and I've tried running a VM in windows using programs like hypervisor, orical ect. but I never liked them that much

What didn't you like about running vms in windows? unraid vms will work basically the same, with about the same performance impact when using a vm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What didn't you like about running vms in windows? unraid vms will work basically the same, with about the same performance impact when using a vm.

honestly I couldnt ever get to work for me. but that was back around 2010 I probably should give them another change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aaron96 said:

honestly I couldnt ever get to work for me. but that was back around 2010 I probably should give them another change. 

Give it anouther shot. Hyper-v in windows is used for a lot of buiness servers, and it stable and works well(I use it at work a good amount)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Give it anouther shot. Hyper-v in windows is used for a lot of buiness servers, and it stable and works well(I use it at work a good amount)

okay, and another reason i wanted to do unraid is that i wanted to set up the work vm on a different Vlan so only certain ports are open and the gaming vm on a different Vlan with only certain ports open since online games have to have open ports that aint really secure and if someone did get into my network they would only see the gaming pc/ consoles.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aaron96 said:

okay, and another reason i wanted to do unraid is that i wanted to set up the work vm on a different Vlan so only certain ports are open and the gaming vm on a different Vlan with only certain ports open since online games have to have open ports that aint really secure and if someone did get into my network they would only see the gaming pc/ consoles.  

You can setup multiple networks on hyper-v(and virtual box and almost every other hypervisor) You can also setup a firewall so the vm can only talk to the outside network, not your internal lan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can setup multiple networks on hyper-v(and virtual box and almost every other hypervisor) You can also setup a firewall so the vm can only talk to the outside network, not your internal lan.

didnt know that

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×