Hey lately my pc have been lagging really bad playing games

Hey, so this problem been there for quite a while, on overwatch ill get 150 fps on the lowest settings possible with drops to 100

My pc is ryzen 1600 not sure if x or not

I have 16 gb of ram

1tb HD 

250ssd

I bought the pc right when original ryzen 1600 was released back in 2017 and I know it's pretty outdated but it should still run games like overwatch or apex with at least 144 fps

On the background I have streaming (streamlabs obs) and maybe like 6 chrome tabs. I also have discord opened sometimes, also my os is on my hard drive not ssd I got no idea how to change it.

I have some money to upgrade but I'm not sure to what even.

Also some of my viewers told me to try and run xmp and I went to bios enabled it and all but the pc crushed the second it was a little bit intensive so I disabled it.

Nothing is overclocked or never been, I've never did anything like bitcoin mining or any type of straining my pc life. The only thing that I have done is leave my pc on my mother board box for a few months because I had no case now I got one tho 

I hope my English wasn't too bad I've been awake for 2 days xd thx for the help much love ♡

Ps. If anyone needs to see stats or anything I'll do it 

3 hours ago, Johnston said:

have you made sure that all your drivers are up to date?

Ummm how ?

>~> sorry I'm ain't good at pcs anymore 

a quick was would be to go into device manager and right click the devices, gpu, cpu etc and clicking update drivers and scan for one. Though this isnt too accurate. Its worth  a try though 

1 hour ago, Johnston said:

a quick was would be to go into device manager and right click the devices, gpu, cpu etc and clicking update drivers and scan for one. Though this isnt too accurate. Its worth  a try though 

Will do ty ♡ btw do you know how to use the tool Linus used when he tested ram

Some of my chat thinks it's ram since it's such a low clock and different brands >~< (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought them it should be under 2700mgz or hz how ever ram is measured)

crystal mark? I believe, though that might be for storage. I would use CPU-Z CPUid to see what ram it is you have installed. Though i would never recommend two different sticks as that never normally ends well

That 1600 served you well. I'd say your CPU bottlenecking now though, first gen Ryzen is starting to show its age.

You're going to need a new MB unfortunately, I assume your using a 300 series board? They work great for first gen Ryzen but have soo many bugs with the newer AMD chips. Even a 400 series board has bugs with Zen3. If going new, B550 is easily the best value for a new AMD motherboard.

A bunch of people are going to recommend 6 cores, but you already have 6 cores and are quite a heavy multi tasker, your the ideal candidate for a 8-12 core CPU. The 5800x is pretty expensive compared to the 5900x, they are only $100 difference for 50% more performance. The 5900x will always resell for more than a 5800x, so it isn't really even $100 more. If the 5900x prevents an upgrade by 4-6 weeks per year you own it, the 5900x is actually cheaper. They are priced way to similarly.

The 5900x is a very expensive CPU though, but so is the 5800x.

6 cores is entry level in 2021. It will already have issues in many of the latest AAA games, add in any extra task and the list of games better on 8 cores is massive.

I'd swap over to intel. The 10700/11700 or 10850k would be a massive upgrade. Assuming they are considerably cheaper than Zen3 in your area, otherwise Zen3.

Between 10th/11th gen intel and the different models of each chip, I'd just get which ever is cheapest/on discount. The performance difference is tiny, only seen in a benchmark.

The 10850k is $319 at microcenter if you are fortunate enough to live near by. Easy win for anyone nearby, it's easily the only CPU under a Ryzen 9 anyone nearby should be buying.

You'd also see a benefit from stepping up to 32GB of ram too. You'd probably want to sell your ram and get a 32GB kit, you could have memory conflictions by adding a second kit, there is a chance it will not work at decent speeds. Many people temp fate though.

IMO if the budget is tight, get the cheapest 10th/11th gen intel 8 core, and 32GB of ram over paying extra for a 5600x/5800x and only 16GB of ram. You will definitely notice the extra ram more than Zen3 vs Intel. The 10850k is a great option if the budget allows. Otherwise step all the way up to a 5900x/32GB of ram, but that is expensive. With what you enjoy doing, the 10850k/5900x would serve you very well.

People who got a 8700k and 1600 really did get a great value at the time. They have served well. If you do decide to upgrade, that is the best time to swap the OS over to your SSD. A new PC will require a fresh install of Windows, during the installation process you will be able to select the SSD as the primary drive. Personally I'd wipe everything and start fresh on both your storage devices. Backup anything needed obviously.

btw to answer Wimp - I can maybe afford a new mother board i really dont know about cpu probly when i find a job \

also about my ram and mother board and all  image.png.5c39bce9abacf7065d608c8a54de40f7.png

i was told by my mod having this much cashed memory is bad. nothing here is on btw 

image.png.73a6223cad8ca97237946ed64bbcb19f.png

image.png.73479e8a29c69920b5099a08cfe11aaa.png

image.png.0946740a310d288812d150f30385b4c1.png

image.png.380a37abec3996740b30c1ac0211f553.png

image.png.129bd1e14b3a039a8b175333f84ea4d6.png

image.png.000d0d8bab94a34aca746149c66c3311.png

image.png.2cdaae247f998dcdc1d434cd4b38312b.png

Thats the pc stats (i hope i did it correctly >~>) if theres anything more spesific you want to see please tell me!

i also downloaded afterburner (my mod requets) to see the full stats while running overwatch 

btw about games btw i only play overwatch mby valorant but nothing like intense for now although i would love to able to play those

its also really weird cuz when i bought the pc for almost 2 years i was getting 300fps high settings on overwatch while now i sometimes drop to absolute 0 fps and almost crush completely 

Again ty so so so much for the help much much much love ♥♥♥♥

image.png

If your having a very bad gaming experience, something else could be going wrong. Try overwatch with everything else closed down, see how it is.

If its been forever since your windows install and you have downloaded/installed a million things over the years, a fresh copy of windows and updating to the latest drivers could make a world of a difference. I'd wipe everything, start over. Backup everything you need of course.

A motherboard will give 0 performance, it just needs to support the other new components.

If you upgrade, you definitely need a new MB, and I'd highly recommend selling your ram and getting a new faster kit when you decide to upgrade.

Waiting is a great option. Your system is quite balanced.

32GB of 3200cl16 would be a great start. It has to be 2x16GB kit because your motherboard only has 2 slots.

If your really CPU limited the ram won't help much though.

When you decide on upgrading the rest, get your CPU and MB at the exact same time.

Also, your ram is running in default mode. In your bios enable XMP, it'll help a teeny tiny bit. You'll probably never notice the difference 🤣, but the free performance can be enabled.

Having a balanced system is great, until upgrade time comes 🤣 then everything kind of needs to be upgraded at once. 😭 

Honestly, I'd probably just wait, your system is very well balanced. Get your CPU, motherboard, and ram at the same time.

Just now, CryingWimp said:

If you upgrade, you definitely need a new MB, and I'd highly recommend selling your ram and getting a new faster kit.

in case i do go for an upgrade i got a nice budage around 3k mby 4k

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JVrzVc

it would be something like this i think, i will probly use the rest to get a wheel and the rest of the racing gaming stuff

21 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

If your having a very bad gaming experience, something else could be going wrong. Try overwatch with everything else closed down, see how it is.

A motherboard will give 0 performance, it just needs to support the other new components.

If you upgrade, you definitely need a new MB, and I'd highly recommend selling your ram and getting a new faster kit when you decide to upgrade.

Waiting is a great option. Your system is quite balanced.

32GB of 3200cl16 would be a great start. It has to be 2x16GB kit because your motherboard only has 2 slots.

If your really CPU limited the ram won't help much though.

When you decide on upgrading the rest, get your CPU and MB at the exact same time.

Also, your ram is running in default mode. In your bios enable XMP, it'll help a teeny tiny bit. You'll probably never notice the difference 🤣, but the free performance can be enabled.

Having a balanced system is great, until upgrade time comes 🤣 then everything kind of needs to be upgraded at once. 😭 

Honestly, I'd probably just wait, your system is very well balanced. Start saving and get your CPU, motherboard, and ram at the same time.

it wont really be a problem for me to buy a nice pc once i find a stable job im just worry that something might go off so im waiting

other then that tho xmp made my pc crush the moment i opened overwatch

IMO avoid Ryzen 3000, its pretty slow and its actually gone up in price.

A 10850k would be a lot faster for what you do than the 3900x, and cheaper. If you want a 12 core Ryzen, the only option that makes sense is the 5900x.

A B550 board is a way better value, if you don't actually need the PCIe layout of x570.

PCIe 4.0 m.2 SSDs are very expensive. You'd notice a way bigger difference getting the faster 5900x with a 3.0 m.2 instead.

The difference of getting a B550 board and a PCIe 3.0 SSD would easily pay for a 5900x, that would be massively better.

Get the faster CPU with a perfectly amazing 3.0 m.2 SSD (you can always add a 4.0 SSD later, if you even need it), it's a lot harder/expensive to upgrade the CPU later

I cannot express strongly enough how much people should avoid Ryzen 3000 these days. It's slower and more expensive than Intel. Ryzen 3000 is starting from a slower place, which doesn't hold up well for the future, or frankly even today. IMO

The power supply you selected is very expensive because it is a small form factor sfx model for ITX cases.

Cases are personal preference, but something with more airflow would be my choice. A mesh front.

You want either 10th/11th gen intel, or Ryzen 5000.

With a B550 board, PCIe 3.0 m.2 SSD, and a normal size power supply; you could have a 5900x for less money than the current selection. If you need x570, a normal PSU and 3.0 m.2 SSD still pays the difference for the 5900x.

A 4.0 pcie ssd with a slower CPU would be a lot slower experience - not worth the compromise at all

You'll likely be keeping your 1070 for a while. GPUs are out of stock everywhere, unless you wanted to buy one from a scalper.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Are your games installed on the SSD? You may experience stuttering if background windows tasks are maxing out your HDD like that, while you are playing a game on the same drive. I would also install GeForce Experience and update your video drivers from there. What kind of FPS are you getting? I know you said you are looking to push 144hz on Overwatch and Apex, but higher resolutions may be a factor. Are you using a 1080p 144hz monitor? Or a 1440p one? With the games listed it shouldn't matter, but if you say 1080p 144 I would think it was the CPU limiting that system, and if you say 1440p 144 I would say GPU. 

I had a 1070 for years, and it's hard to drive 1440p @ 144hz with it on a lot of games as they are updated. I still wouldn't expect that system to produce a bad experience for you, given the games you are playing. It's worth a look to check and lower the in-game settings; although if this is an issue with your HDD, game settings wont fix the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Redlantern said:

Are your games installed on the SSD? You may experience stuttering if background windows tasks are maxing out your HDD like that, while you are playing a game on the same drive. I would also install GeForce Experience and update your video drivers from there. What kind of FPS are you getting? I know you said you are looking to push 144hz on Overwatch and Apex, but higher resolutions may be a factor. Are you using a 1080p 144hz monitor? Or a 1440p one? With the games listed it shouldn't matter, but if you say 1080p 144 I would think it was the CPU limiting that system, and if you say 1440p 144 I would say GPU. 

I had a 1070 for years, and it's hard to drive 1440p @ 144hz with it on a lot of games as they are updated.

They are on ssd I use 1080p 144 hz monitor 

I just changed my pc im installing  a fresh windows copy only on the ssd and taking the hard drive out I only use about 100gbs of storage probly less so my system will run faster

My mod told me that when my is like 99% which happens a lot btw then it goes to my hard drive and this hard drive been used for multiple years and I did multiple os cleanup 

Soooo yeahhh now I only use 250gb ssd 

They are on ssd I use 1080p 144 hz monitor 

I just changed my pc im installing  a fresh windows copy only on the ssd and taking the hard drive out I only use about 100gbs of storage probly less so my system will run faster

My mod told me that when my is like 99% which happens a lot btw then it goes to my hard drive and this hard drive been used for multiple years and I did multiple os cleanup 

Soooo yeahhh now I only use 250gb ssd 

So just to be clear, you are currently reinstalling windows at the moment? If so, I would be curious if a fresh OS install, and fresh drivers, would fix the issue. I know others in the thread are recommending hardware upgrades, but I wouldn't expect your current hardware to give you problems in the games you are playing. It really depends on how you are defining "lag" in your post. I assume you mean extreme FPS drop. Is that correct? Could you give us a bit more insight on precisely what happens when you experience issues? Does the FPS go to like 20-50 or something suddenly? The more specific you can be, the easier I can help ya. 

6 hours ago, Redlantern said:

So just to be clear, you are currently reinstalling windows at the moment? If so, I would be curious if a fresh OS install, and fresh drivers, would fix the issue. I know others in the thread are recommending hardware upgrades, but I wouldn't expect your current hardware to give you problems in the games you are playing. It really depends on how you are defining "lag" in your post. I assume you mean extreme FPS drop. Is that correct? Could you give us a bit more insight on precisely what happens when you experience issues? Does the FPS go to like 20-50 or something suddenly? The more specific you can be, the easier I can help ya. 

The problem is all the background tasks, OBS alone can make games laggy as hell, and open tabs, discord… who knows what other stuff is running, its no surprise this CPU specifically will run into such issues.  But otherwise I agree, with a proper setup and little as possible background processes this should still handle most games well. Also maybe use Shadowplay instead, its really very lightweight.  

So the suggestion of new mobo/cpu/ram makes sense. Id probably keep the GPU, its probably still OP for overwatch type of games tbh.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 2:29 AM, Mark Kaine said:

The problem is all the background tasks, OBS alone can make games laggy as hell, and open tabs, discord… who knows what other stuff is running, its no surprise this CPU specifically will run into such issues.  But otherwise I agree, with a proper setup and little as possible background processes this should still handle most games well. Also maybe use Shadowplay instead, its really very lightweight.  

So the suggestion of new mobo/cpu/ram makes sense. Id probably keep the GPU, its probably still OP for overwatch type of games tbh.  

On 6/23/2021 at 7:59 PM, Redlantern said:

On 6/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, Redlantern said:

I had a 1070 for years, and it's hard to drive 1440p @ 144hz with it on a lot of games as they are updated.

Sorry for the super late answer 

The problem was the cpu reaching 100c 

I reput the thermal paste and now I get my normal 300fps 

Thx everyone love u all