SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION Error on Startup

jwk

Hey All,

I have been experiencing a consistent SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error upon startup for the past few days now. Not sure whats going on or why. I am hopeful you all will be able to provide some assistance.

Computer runs wonderfully outside of this start-up error. Once Windows runs through this error screen I experience no issues - I have experienced no crashing, unexpected shutdowns, or any other errors while the computer is running. That being said I was experiencing a few other strange startup errors, (hardware related I think?), before this "Windows" error started occurring, but those seem to have stopped since I upgraded from my GTX 960 to my RTX 3070.

System Specs:

- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

- CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim

- Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3.2GHz DDR4

- MB: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI

- Storage: WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
- GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming O8G RTX 3070

- PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 850W 80+ Gold

- Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

- Case Intake Fans: be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 140mm (x2)

- Case Exhaust Fan: be quiet! SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 120mm

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance! Let me know if you require anymore information.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.jpg

Not enough power for 3070, the PSU cannot supply enough on initial boot to charge all the capacitor in the build.

Linus has said that he found the power consumption to be very high with newest nVidia GPUs.

Best get a 1000W or higher PSU.

6 hours ago, ndesign.ie said:

Not enough power for 3070, the PSU cannot supply enough on initial boot to charge all the capacitor in the build.

Linus has said that he found the power consumption to be very high with newest nVidia GPUs.

Thanks for the reply @ndesign.ie.

What about that error points you in the direction of the GPU?

(Also, ASUS lists the recommended PSU wattage for my card as 750W. I would imagine that I’m covered at 850W).

you are not just powering the card, the mb, drives, ram, usb, fans,rgb... take Power to work too. you are essentially leaving 100W for the rest of the computer, ergo ram cannot power itself to store data, SSD won't have enpugh for reading, Cpu wont have enough to compute....  you see what can happen by the screen, that error means it can't find data at that specific time, when your restart after encounter an error, the residual charge in the system will allow for a boot.

GPU because of power, if it had a 960, the rated 750W of the 3070 is reported (by the many tech youtubes LTT, Jayz2cents, GamersNexus) to be higher than manufacturer specifications. The card may run on 750W but at peak demand may require substantially more.

20 hours ago, ndesign.ie said:

It shall be perfect to use a 850W 80+ Gold GPU with a 3070. I really don't think that it's the problem here.

Did you uninstall old graphics drivers before upgrading to RTX 3070? If not, uninstall old graphics drivers with DDU in safe mode. 

If issue still continues send your minidump file (instructions are in this category's pins).

Yeah RTX 3071 might be just old drivers remove to be thorough

I was just was going by....

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,6287-3.html

CPU 65W-70W

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RTX3070TI-O8G-GAMING/techspec/

GPU 750W

Fans about 1W each

Fans 3W

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3.2GHz DDR4

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-ddr4-4600-memory,5344.html

about 30W to spare for MB, RAM, WiFi, USB, RGB

18 minutes ago, ndesign.ie said:

Yeah RTX 3071 might be just old drivers remove to be thorough

I was just was going by....

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,6287-3.html

CPU 65W-70W

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RTX3070TI-O8G-GAMING/techspec/

GPU 750W

Fans about 1W each

Fans 3W

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3.2GHz DDR4

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-ddr4-4600-memory,5344.html

about 30W to spare for MB, RAM, WiFi, USB, RGB

It's recommended PSU.
image.png.592c753a939fe94d35bfd4d28689c04f.png
GPU's don't have separate PSUs so this is obviously recommended system PSU.

On 6/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, ndesign.ie said:

Sorry, but that's incorrect, ive been running my 3070 with a 500w psu for months no issues whatsoever, the whole system doesnt even use 400w most of the time not to mention 500w.

10 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

It shall be perfect to use a 850W 80+ Gold GPU with a 3070. I really don't think that it's the problem here.

Did you uninstall old graphics drivers before upgrading to RTX 3070? If not, uninstall old graphics drivers with DDU in safe mode. 

If issue still continues send your minidump file (instructions are in this category's pins).

however…  "focus gold" may have issues with this card (personally, i wouldnt really trust it, althoug it also depends on manufacturing date allegdelly)

On 6/23/2021 at 4:52 AM, jwk said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3.2GHz DDR4

youre going to hate this, but this Ram is overall pretty awful for Ryzen, you could try running it at default settings, so no xmp etc.

otherwise i would suggest replacing it (with gskill / samsung.b-die for example)

also make sure bios, chipset, other drivers are all up to date - are they?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/23/2021 at 7:25 PM, ndesign.ie said:

you are not just powering the card, the mb, drives, ram, usb, fans,rgb... take Power to work too. you are essentially leaving 100W for the rest of the computer, ergo ram cannot power itself to store data, SSD won't have enpugh for reading, Cpu wont have enough to compute....  you see what can happen by the screen, that error means it can't find data at that specific time, when your restart after encounter an error, the residual charge in the system will allow for a boot.

GPU because of power, if it had a 960, the rated 750W of the 3070 is reported (by the many tech youtubes LTT, Jayz2cents, GamersNexus) to be higher than manufacturer specifications. The card may run on 750W but at peak demand may require substantially more.

The GPU does not use 750W of power. Maybe under max load it might peak to 300W? 350W? That's well within the capacity of my PSU. I took your advice and went back and watched GamersNexus "How Much Power Do You Need" video and their 3070 review video. At peak power my CPU looks like it uses ~ 90W, and my GPU looks like it uses ~ 220W (founders edition). That's well under 850W. I think I can run my fans and drives with that excess. Hell lets say the GPU's peak power use was greater... There was a peak power data point for a ASUS TUF GAMING OC 3080 in GamerNexus' video and it was ~ 340W. Even at 340W plus my 90W CPU I am still well under 850W.

Thank you for the replies ndesign.ie, but unless I get some different information I do not think the PSU is the solution to my boot error.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, RTX 3071 said:

Thanks for the reply @RTX 3071.

I did a "clean install" when I went to install the 3070 drivers. It was my assumption that that option in the Nvidia installer wipes old drivers. Is that not the case and I need to use DDU in safe mode? (Also, what is DDU)?

I'll get the minidump file into this thread in a reply when I get home from work today, or later this weekned. Thank you for the suggestion.

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

however…  "focus gold" may have issues with this card (personally, i wouldnt really trust it, althoug it also depends on manufacturing date allegdelly)

youre going to hate this, but this Ram is overall pretty awful for Ryzen, you could try running it at default settings, so no xmp etc.

otherwise i would suggest replacing it (with gskill / samsung.b-die for example)

also make sure bios, chipset, other drivers are all up to date - are they?

Thanks for the reply @Mark Kaine.

Didn't know that Seasonic PSU's had issues with 30-series cards. That's an expensive fix to buy a new PSU. :( I think I am going to try software solutions and exploring the minidump file here first.

I went with the Corsair Vengeance LPX because I wanted low profile sticks. I guess I'll try turning XMP off. That's something simple to play around with. Would suck to not get the speed I paid for... Does G.Skill or Samsung have low profile sticks? (I have two XMP profiles in my BIOS quick set-up. Would enabling the "second" profile and turning off the "first" profile be of any use)?

As far as I know, yes my BIOS, chipset, and all drivers are up to date, but I'll make another double check of that this weekend.

1 hour ago, jwk said:

Thanks for the reply @RTX 3071.

I did a "clean install" when I went to install the 3070 drivers. It was my assumption that that option in the Nvidia installer wipes old drivers. Is that not the case and I need to use DDU in safe mode? (Also, what is DDU)?

I'll get the minidump file into this thread in a reply when I get home from work today, or later this weekned. Thank you for the suggestion.

DDU = Display Driver Uninstaller, this tool does a better job than the one in Nvidia installer. 

Got that stop code today with an i7, the CPU paste was dust. Looks like it was thermal throttling to 0 after couple of seconds.

Have a look at your cooling solution as well as check onboard chips cooling.

Another unhelpful random windows error.....

10 hours ago, jwk said:

Thanks for the reply @Mark Kaine.

Didn't know that Seasonic PSU's had issues with 30-series cards. That's an expensive fix to buy a new PSU. 😞 I think I am going to try software solutions and exploring the minidump file here first.

I went with the Corsair Vengeance LPX because I wanted low profile sticks. I guess I'll try turning XMP off. That's something simple to play around with. Would suck to not get the speed I paid for... Does G.Skill or Samsung have low profile sticks? (I have two XMP profiles in my BIOS quick set-up. Would enabling the "second" profile and turning off the "first" profile be of any use)?

As far as I know, yes my BIOS, chipset, and all drivers are up to date, but I'll make another double check of that this weekend.

Actually you can try the second profile  it might be different and work better. otherwise yeah just run without  xmp for a while to see if it changes anything .

eh, i dont actually  know about the low profile ram, but i guess there would be, however my trident Z are not.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, RTX 3071 said:

DDU = Display Driver Uninstaller, this tool does a better job than the one in Nvidia installer. 

Thank you. I will look into that program.

On 6/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, ndesign.ie said:

Got that stop code today with an i7, the CPU paste was dust. Looks like it was thermal throttling to 0 after couple of seconds.

Have a look at your cooling solution as well as check onboard chips cooling.

Another unhelpful random windows error.....

Oh no, sorry to hear that ndesign.ie.

I elected to take my cooler off my CPU a few times when I built the computer. Paste was oozing out the side a little and perfectionist me wasn't having it. I don't think that on-off of the cooler from the CPU would damage anything though would it? My HWMonitor temps have all looked within normal.

HWMonitor_6-27.PNG

On 6/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Actually you can try the second profile  it might be different and work better. otherwise yeah just run without  xmp for a while to see if it changes anything .

eh, i dont actually  know about the low profile ram, but i guess there would be, however my trident Z are not.

I think that is exactly what I am going to try.

Bad news. More errors. (And, I have not had any time to implement any of the solutions that you all have suggested yet either).

Two new errors in the past few days:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

The errors continue to occur upon start-up only. I am working on generating a minidump file now for you all.

**EDIT**

@Mark Kaine The Resource and Performance Monitor never seems to finish its 60 second diagnostic. All options in the 'File' menu are perpetually grayed out except for 'Exit'. I cannot save the data.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.jpg

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.jpg

is this without XMP?

try running without it.

also run memtest86+ if you havent already. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I would look at the drive, google its reliability

Maybe a bios update???

• 1 month later...

Back at this after a break.

I started with simple solutions that would not require a ton of time/energy/research...

First, I tried switching from XMP1 to XMP2. The issue persisted. Next, I turned off XMP altogether, and the issue has stopped occurring. Now my question is what is it about my memory that is causing this!? I purchased 3.2GHz memory and I would like to actually be able to use that memory speed!

This is my first Ryzen build. Is this a Ryzen issue? Is this memory known to have issues? Maybe I have the memory installed improperly? Is there something else entirely going on?

Thanks in advance!