Hardware recommendations for dedicated hardware firewall/router

Dear All,

I am considering building a dedicated computer to run pfsense on as a firewall/router. Is there any advantage in going with server grade (Xeon, ECC memory) over consumer grade (i7..,NON-ECC memory) hardware? That is other than the obvious reliability that comes with server grade hardware is there any other reason to take this path? or would it be overkill? Would a simpler solution suffice (more economical)?

I live in a house with three people with high internet usage and I am connected to a 1Gbps U/D fibre line.

Any suggestions would be appreciate, I am new to self built firewalls/router set ups.

Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Segamo

From the videos I have watched so far on building PFSense routers, really anything will do since current day routers are so low power even an old C2D system would be plenty. I suggest you try and find a cheap, older PC to use and add a nice Intel NIC.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Been wondering similar myself, I wanna build me a router eventually. I have most of the parts to get there, just need a power supply and some ram really. I'm likely gonna throw my G620 at it, but I could throw the 3240 in there. But if the G620 is overkill as is (compared to the ASUS N66U I have, love that thing. Best router i've ever had) then i'll probably use the other CPU in another project if I have one. I've been assuming it would be pretty overkill for what I wanna do with it but I wasn't too certain. Also the ability to upgrade NIC's if needed or wifi (like anything after AC) will be beautiful.

Thanks guys for the advise!! Appreciated