Freesync = Gsync compatible?

Spoonii

I'm looking for a new VRR monitor to go with my new RTX 3000 GPU. Namely ASUS ROG STRIX Curved XG43VQ

People have advised to look at the list of Nvidia tested Gsync monitors to check for compatibility. This monitor does not appear on the list.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Other have said any AMD Freesync is practically guaranteed to work with Gsync,

I have not seen any written materials from the monitor manufacturer to support this.

Is this true or are they misinformed?

"Practically guaranteed" is completely wrong.

It's pratctically guaranteed if it is on the official G-Sync compatible list.

For any other FreeSync monitor i CAN work but it can also not work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Gsync and freesync are their own technology.

However they basically do the same thing. Only difference being gsync is a paid add on module manufacturers need to put into their display whilst freesync as the name implies is free to use for anyone.

Your card support freesync as well as gsync. So get whatever works.

Keep in mind with that monitor most games will stretch as that aspect ratio is not common and at best games support 21:9 without stretching but a lot still do.

It will most likely work without issues, but it isn't guaranteed. That's basically how it is now with Nvidia GPUs and FreeSync monitors that aren't on the G-Sync Compatible list.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

33 minutes ago, Spoonii said:

I'm looking for a new VRR monitor to go with my new RTX 3000 GPU. Namely ASUS ROG STRIX Curved XG43VQ

People have advised to look at the list of Nvidia tested Gsync monitors to check for compatibility. This monitor does not appear on the list.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Other have said any AMD Freesync is practically guaranteed to work with Gsync,

I have not seen any written materials from the monitor manufacturer to support this.

Is this true or are they misinformed?

I have a freesync monitor that isn't officially compatbile with gsync and it works well, but just like other people are saying it depends

As long as it's FreeSync Premium or Premium Pro it should work just fine. Older just FreeSync monitors have more issues. There's never any guarantees, though. You should always check reviews for the specific monitor you intend to buy first. Something like G-sync issues will be called out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse