How do I connect an old TV, a PC and a console to a modern soundbar?

Go to solution Solved by RedDeath_,

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PXFG9JW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for a year now. 4 HDMIs go in and it can output sound to TV, optical audio and 3.5mm jack at the same time (and video to TV obviously). It switches automatically the input and it supports audio in Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital and AC-3 audio formats. Supports 4K@60Hz with 4:4:4, HDCP 2.2, and HDR 10. Comes with a small remote for convenience and buttons on the machine to switch also. 100% worth it

Hi guys, I need your advice. 

At the moment we use an old plasma TV every day. ( I think its this one LG 50PN4500 : 50” CLASS PLASMA HD TV (49.9” DIAGONALLY) | LG USA )

It already has several defects but is still running. In the near future I would like to change to an LG OLED TV. 

There is a great deal at my local electronics shop right now. 
This LG soundbar for under 450$ (LG DSN9YG | 5.1.2 Soundbar | Dolby Atmos® | LG Deutschland

I have a very simple and cheap China HDMI switch connected to a mini PC (Intel Nuc) and a Nintendo Switch. Other ports are sometimes needed for a Playstation to watch bluray movies. This switch is connected to the TV.

There is only one HDMI input and output port on the new soundbar. Since the speakers on the TV are becoming more and more defective, I only want to play sound through the soundbar. 

• What is the best way to connect at least three devices?

• Do I need a better HDMI switch?

• The soundbar has HDMI2.1 connections. Can I also use the surround sound functions if I don't have any devices with HDMI 2.1? 

I think the TV only has two HDMI connections, I'll have to check again later at home. 

• What can I do now so that I don't always have to reconnect the cables? Am I missing something? 

Thanks for your help

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Both your TV and the sound bar support Optical Audio:

Connect Apple TV to Surround Sound System

and you can pass the PC audio through the HDMI connector of the TV

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

55 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Both your TV and the sound bar support Optical Audio:

Connect Apple TV to Surround Sound System

and you can pass the PC audio through the HDMI connector of the TV

so I connect the TV to the soundbar via optical audio and all the devices I connect via HDMI to the TV. 
Does the TV need support surround sound or Atmos or will it just send all data over the optical port and the soundbar does all the processing ? 
Do i need to setup something on my mini PC so that we can enjoy movies on Netflix with Atmos ?

sorry maybe I'm just really stupid and dont get it but I'm just really confuse ^^'

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

7 minutes ago, Frownwarrior said:

so I connect the TV to the soundbar via optical audio and all the devices I connect via HDMI to the TV. 

Correct

8 minutes ago, Frownwarrior said:

Does the TV need support surround sound or Atmos or will it just send all data over the optical port and the soundbar does all the processing ? 
Do i need to setup something on my mini PC so that we can enjoy movies on Netflix with Atmos ?

Sorry,I don't know.

9 minutes ago, Frownwarrior said:

sorry maybe I'm just really stupid and dont get it but I'm just really confuse ^^'

No,You are fine,It's normal to ask questions like that.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I found this very interessting HDMI spiter/switch. https://feintech.eu/collections/hdmi/products/feintech-vms04201-hdmi-matrix-switch-4x2-mit-audio-extractor-scaler

If I understand this right, it will split the earc signal so that I can route it to the soundbar and get dolby atmos support (if my device has it) and still connect it direktly to my tv, right`?

has anyone any experiance with this typ of devices ? to they add a lot of lat. ? 

On 6/22/2021 at 7:38 AM, Frownwarrior said:

You will not get ATMOS through an optical TOSLINK cable, you'll get 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 DTS at best.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PXFG9JW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for a year now. 4 HDMIs go in and it can output sound to TV, optical audio and 3.5mm jack at the same time (and video to TV obviously). It switches automatically the input and it supports audio in Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital and AC-3 audio formats. Supports 4K@60Hz with 4:4:4, HDCP 2.2, and HDR 10. Comes with a small remote for convenience and buttons on the machine to switch also. 100% worth it