Raidcontroller burnt out, can I receover my data?

andersr

Hi,

I have an older raidcontroller LSI MR SAS 9265-8i which burnt out yesterday, the heak sink simple fell of apparently because it was an extremely hot day, and the plastic pins holding it in place is no where to be seen.

The card smells burnt and the post message is something like "Controller is faulty...". The raid setup was 4 drives striped and I have no backup of the configuration, so I suppose there is little to do to recover my data.

But I wanted to ask anyway - is there any chance that if I can find an identical card, that the new card can detect the current setup of the drives, or that I can create a new identical configuration that the new card can use the drives and the data as is?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

You need the controller to get the data.  Also, whythe ic of the controller didn`t have thermal protection? Can you give a picture of what the card looks like now.

Hi Wicked,

It did have thermal compound between the chip and heatsink, but the heatsink simply fell of because the plastic pins wasnt there. I dont know how or when the pins fell of, so i guess the only thing keeping the heatsink on was the thermalpaste at the end :( Unfortunately the heatsink pointed downwards, had it pointed up perhaps it would have stayed in place.

But if the same controller is needed, then there is nothing to do. It's scoched on the back and smells burnt, so I doubt it is functional.

56 minutes ago, andersr said:

Hi Wicked,

It did have thermal compound between the chip and heatsink, but the heatsink simply fell of because the plastic pins wasnt there. I dont know how or when the pins fell of, so i guess the only thing keeping the heatsink on was the thermalpaste at the end 😞 Unfortunately the heatsink pointed downwards, had it pointed up perhaps it would have stayed in place.

But if the same controller is needed, then there is nothing to do. It's scoched on the back and smells burnt, so I doubt it is functional.

If the controller smells burnt and has burn marks on it, Then nothing can be done to fix it.

22 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

If the controller smells burnt and has burn marks on it, Then nothing can be done to fix it.

I know the controller is dead. But could the raid setup be recoved if I got a new and similar raidcard?

19 minutes ago, andersr said:

I know the controller is dead. But could the raid setup be recoved if I got a new and similar raidcard?

You need exactly same controller as previous one and once you get it plug every drive on it like when it was working.