Power Usage

zolo30

Below is linked my future build what I am missing is one graphics card and two monitors but everything else you see I have already and currently using. Please I know my RAM is too much(I also don't care I just wanted it) I want comments on the power consumption. PCpartpicker says that I can handle the second card but when I am playing games will the power consumption go up? I ask this because I really want to play on three monitors and that is what the second card would be needed for but I do not want to run into any bottleneck issues or possibly kill my parts do to not enough power. Thoughts or concerns?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kP8b

You will be fine power wise. But please, reconsider your build. it's honestly not good.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

The PSU is fine, you might want to get an 850w if you want loads of headroom. In any case if you'll be playing on 3 monitors you shouldn't be getting 2gb 770s. You'll be severely VRAM limited. Get 780s at least, you can easily make them fit that budget.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Below is linked my future build what I am missing is one graphics card and two monitors but everything else you see I have already and currently using. Please I know my RAM is too much(I also don't care I just wanted it) I want comments on the power consumption. PCpartpicker says that I can handle the second card but when I am playing games will the power consumption go up? I ask this because I really want to play on three monitors and that is what the second card would be needed for but I do not want to run into any bottleneck issues or possibly kill my parts do to not enough power. Thoughts or concerns?

Should be fine, but if you want a little more headroom in power than get the 860w. Shouldn't be too much more expensive.

with the 860w you'll have about 200w of free room I reckon (at full load)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Hi Zolo30,

Based on what you show there you may be able to get away with a 750 Power supply, it depends on the level of your overclock, if you have one on or not, as that will increase power consumption. i would suggest check on your power supply at the cables included within it, if it has enough cables to power the two cards, that puts you in good stead, maybe have a look on the asus psu calculator which will give you an idea of what kinda power supply you should need, give me a mo and ill edit this post with one from another website to give you an idea. :)

EDIT:- A calculator shows approximately 600 watts is what the system should be requiring but again as previously advised, you may want more headroom to cover yourself. 

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

You will be fine power wise. But please, reconsider your build. it's honestly not good.

why is it bad?

why is it bad?

Spending money in areas that dont need some things. We know you said you dont care about the ram but it really is overkill unless you are doing a ram disk. You could take that money instead of getting 32 gigs of ram and get a better processor.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

why is it bad?

Because you have a 2400$ build which I assume you want to use to play in surround, yet you only got 770s.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Spending money in areas that dont need some things. We know you said you dont care about the ram but it really is overkill unless you are doing a ram disk. You could take that money instead of getting 32 gigs of ram and get a better processor.

He doesn't need a better processor, he needs better graphics cards. 780s can easily fit in that budget. If he's going to be playing at 5760x1080 2gb of VRAM will not be enough.

He doesn't need a better processor, he needs better graphics cards. 780s can easily fit in that budget. If he's going to be playing at 5760x1080 2gb of VRAM will not be enough.

I was just making an example on how the ram was a bit overboard.  :D

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

you are mistaking me for @zolo30

why is it bad?

too much ram which isnt really necessary unless you are doing heavy editing and the cards dont have enough vram for 3 monitors you want atleast 3 per card for the best experience and OP yes it will all work with around a 750 to 800watt psu but please consider more vram

you asked why so i told you 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

Oh HAHA, you're right. oops

Because you have a 2400$ build which I assume you want to use to play in surround, yet you only got 770s.

haha and you mistake me too for @zolo30 xD

Ahh man...I remember when I just wanted to get A LOT of RAM, because of video production, photo editing, gaming, etc... So I have 16gb...I don't know if I EVER went over 8 with all my programs..games opened at the same time...Oh ye and the build is not balanced...get 780s? Oh and personally I would go for 860 W  :D

Definitely need 780 instead of 770. 

I havent seen that case myself but will a midtower case fit in a H100i? remember the 240mm radiator.

For PSU you might want to play it safe and go with a ~100W higher than what PcPartPicker estimated. You dont want to change the PSU everytime you change or upgrading anything.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

The PSU is fine, you might want to get an 850w if you want loads of headroom. In any case if you'll be playing on 3 monitors you shouldn't be getting 2gb 770s. You'll be severely VRAM limited. Get 780s at least, you can easily make them fit that budget.

^^^^^^ Basically all that was said above.  The build isn't the best. I don't think you'll need that H100 unless your going to overclock out your ass or have an AMD CPU/APU. Cut down on the ram, get 780's ect ect ect. But each to there own...if you really want 32gbs, no ones stopping you.

You need a profile pic so we can tell you apart lol

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Definitely need 780 instead of 770. 

I havent seen that case myself but will a midtower case fit in a H100i? remember the 240mm radiator.

For PSU you might want to play it safe and go with a ~100W higher than what PcPartPicker estimated. You dont want to change the PSU everytime you change or upgrading anything.

On the way home from work I was thinking to myself shit would it be better to just sell my 770 and use that money towards a 780 or 780ti instead? And I do think the money would be better spent on that for the extra VRAM for when I game on multiple monitors. The H100i does fit in the case plenty of review videos show it done the case is meant for water cooling here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqz5WAU9iJg

With the processor this is plenty for any gaming need the extra money does not come out to extra FPS and the 4670k is the sweet spot for price to performance ratio. Especially since I paid under 200 for it.

This is my current build the one I am actually typing this response on right now the 770 is crushing every game i am playing at well over 100FPS at max graphics. I am wanting to add two more identical monitors so I can play most games at max 60FPS+ for some time to come. I am not looking to crush Crysis 3 or anything especially when I spend 90 percent of my time playing Blizzard games. A second 770 would do just fine but I think the money it would take to get a second 770 would be better served to buy a 780 or 780ti since I can just sell my current 770. With the PSU it is already bought people so if I really needed to get a new one I would have to resell this one to purchase one and that may be something I would be doing if I was adding a second card. If I choose to get a 780 or 780ti I wont have to worry about it for a bit. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kcPC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kcPC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($154.00) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.96 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($149.00 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($14.02 @ Mwave) 
Total: $1644.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-02 16:57 EDT-0400)

This is my current build the one I am actually typing this response on right now the 770 is crushing every game i am playing at well over 100FPS at max graphics. I am wanting to add two more identical monitors so I can play most games at max 60FPS+ for some time to come. I am not looking to crush Crysis 3 or anything especially when I spend 90 percent of my time playing Blizzard games. A second 770 would do just fine but I think the money it would take to get a second 770 would be better served to buy a 780 or 780ti since I can just sell my current 770. With the PSU it is already bought people so if I really needed to get a new one I would have to resell this one to purchase one and that may be something I would be doing if I was adding a second card. If I choose to get a 780 or 780ti I wont have to worry about it for a bit. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kcPC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kcPC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($154.00) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.79 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.96 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($149.00 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($14.02 @ Mwave) 
Total: $1644.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-02 16:57 EDT-0400)

Yeah, the i5 4670k is as good as needed for gaming only, you might want to upgrade your mobo to the MSI Z87 GD65 just for those few extra overclock option and sata etc. 16Gb ram is much better than that overkill 32g from before, If you upgrading to 780 that PSU is more than enough ( I have a 780 too and a 700w PSU). So this should be ok.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Yeah, the i5 4670k is as good as needed for gaming only, you might want to upgrade your mobo to the MSI Z87 GD65 just for those few extra overclock option and sata etc. 16Gb ram is much better than that overkill 32g from before, If you upgrading to 780 that PSU is more than enough ( I have a 780 too and a 700w PSU). So this should be ok.

I don't really see why i would need the 65 as the added features would not really be needed. Again I already own the 45 and I am currently using it. Maybe you could convince me

If you already have a 45 then no need to change to a 65. The 65 have additional SATA port, OC Genie, power and reset onboard button, 2 bios if you ever do flashing, go2bios button, so it will mostly help with ppl who do OC and flashing, depend on what you want to do it might not appear to you at all.

If you already have a 45 then no need to change to a 65. The 65 have additional SATA port, OC Genie, power and reset onboard button, 2 bios if you ever do flashing, go2bios button, so it will mostly help with ppl who do OC and flashing, depend on what you want to do it might not appear to you at all.

Ah I see. I already have OC genie and enough SATA ports that I would need. And I never understood why flashing BIOS was an option? 

I would go for a 780  and save up for another if needed 

In terms of power I would say the 750 should be fine for 2 770's 

and  maybe two 780 under a gaming load it it would be close under a full system load though 

O and it will get warm in the H440 just saying due to limited air flow 

Well I just used a power calculator and the 700 psu will be a bit close under load 

I would go with some thing like a 850-850 so you are in the efficiency band of the power supply

Also why are you going for 32 gigs of ram for a gaming rig? unless 

you are doing video or photo editing or animation or other work on the machine

then save the money and put that into a 780  or larger SSD 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400